DUBIA at last!

Rst_Cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just have to share. Maxwell is now almost 8 months old and hates roaches. I used to offer them all the time, tried seven different species, and he would always ignore them. He eats everything else I offer, so I decided about 2-3 months ago to stop offering them, to just try again when he was older. Well, he’s older, so I put them in his cup yesterday morning. He looked at me, annoyed, I looked at him, and said “yeah, that’s right, that’s all you get today!” and left. OK, so I didn’t actually SEE him eat them, but I put them in his cup (I don’t think they can get out) and they were all gone by the time I got home from work! Finally, success! I know, maybe a fluke, but I’ll try it again on Saturday. I will convert him yet!

Yep all about the tough love. He took them faster then Beman. Beman took 5 days of me offering them each day and only them. Then he finally broke down. But now he has decided that he only wants them if I hand feed them. So of course I now do that. :hilarious:

Pesto actually seems to really love his dubia, I am SO thankful. With that being said, he only eats them one at a time and only if I place then upside down on what has been dubbed his "feeder leaf". Never seen him eat them from a cup

Yep all about the tough love. He took them faster then Beman. Beman took 5 days of me offering them each day and only them. Then he finally broke down. But now he has decided that he only wants them if I hand feed them. So of course I now do that. :hilarious:
Ha! Beman is soooo spoiled! How do you keep them from running off your hand? Offer them in your palm upside down?

Maxwell has gotten very agreeable lately which is why I tried them. He was so skittish as a baby but now that he's older he just has a lovely disposition right now. He used to be impossible to get out of his enclosure but now when it's time to go outside for some sun, he just like "sure, whatever." He doesn't love me, but he is definitely more trusting and tolerant than ever!

Pesto actually seems to really love his dubia, I am SO thankful. With that being said, he only eats them one at a time and only if I place then upside down on what has been dubbed his "feeder leaf". Never seen him eat them from a cup
That's awesome!

Ha! Beman is soooo spoiled! How do you keep them from running off your hand? Offer them in your palm upside down?

Maxwell has gotten very agreeable lately which is why I tried them. He was so skittish as a baby but now that he's older he just has a lovely disposition right now. He used to be impossible to get out of his enclosure but now when it's time to go outside for some sun, he just like "sure, whatever." He doesn't love me, but he is definitely more trusting and tolerant than ever!
Nope he only likes them if I hold onto them by their butts and he sees their little faces and legs wiggling at him. Little spoiled brat.... I may have had something to do with that :hilarious:

Mine used to devour them when he was younger, but once I introduced him to superworms, that was it. I try occasionally but it seems like he doesn't like anything with legs anymore, including crickets.

Mine used to devour them when he was younger, but once I introduced him to superworms, that was it. I try occasionally but it seems like he doesn't like anything with legs anymore, including crickets.
So what does he eat then?

He eats superworms, BSFL's, waxworms, hornworms, butterworms, and silkworms. Superworms & BSFL's are his staples.
Yeah Beman went off his staples when I introduced superworms... He only gets 1 now each feeding but that is only because I have like 25 left. I don't plan on keeping him on them. It took a week to get him to eat his dubia again. I did not want him addicted to the supers since they are so hard to gutload.

Yeah Beman went off his staples when I introduced superworms... He only gets 1 now each feeding but that is only because I have like 25 left. I don't plan on keeping him on them. It took a week to get him to eat his dubia again. I did not want him addicted to the supers since they are so hard to gutload.
Yeah, it's a shame because they are so easy to keep and they keep for a long time.

Yeah, it's a shame because they are so easy to keep and they keep for a long time.
Yeah I finally got him back on the dubia... But I had to tough love it and hold out giving anything else for a week. Once he realized that he was not getting the superworms he broke down. Now I give him the dubia first then he gets a superworm and his BSFL. I will be adding back in silks once I get my second cham. So my staples will be silks, dubia, bsfl, and then I also have Blue bottle flies and Black soldier flies that hatch out in his enclosure each day. He really loves hunting those.

I've tried holding out for close to a week but he literally just will not eat. I always end up giving in because I'm a softie.

I've tried holding out for close to a week but he literally just will not eat. I always end up giving in because I'm a softie.
Yeah I am too... But I found that offering them everyday for a week worked... I was told to hold out up to 2 weeks to get him back on them. When I introduced superworms I was very new and did not know they were unhealthy. I used wax worms when he was young for trust training. But had no idea they were all fat... When I did silks he loved them but would still only eat like 1 or 2 every other day. So I had too many getting far to large for him. That is why I am waiting on adding those back in until Bahari gets here. I still add in 2 hornworms a week. He really loves those. But it seemed like every time I thought I was doing something right in the beginning I found out it was not the best lol. Who knew there was so much to bugs.

Maybe I'll try dubia's this week. I have a colony that I started back in November that is now to the point where I need to begin giving them away.

How do you offer them (what type of cup/feeder)? Do you have a pic?

Maybe I'll try dubia's this week. I have a colony that I started back in November that is now to the point where I need to begin giving them away.

How do you offer them (what type of cup/feeder)? Do you have a pic?
I did it in a cup thing I made. There is the main one that I screwed into another piece attached to the dragon ledge and then his food goes into another one that I drop into the removable 2nd cup. This way I can easily remove it to clean without taking the whole thing out. He got back on them and then a few weeks later decided that he would not eat them from the cup thing. He will eat everything else from his cup though. But now I have to hand feed the dubia lol. He is a spoiled brat though.

IMG_3389.JPG

Back
Top Bottom