Dubai roaches

Hey so I just started giving my 8 month old female veiled Dubai roaches and she seems to like them a lot and was curious on how many is ok? I gave her 5 or 6 large ones today which I guess aren’t technically large after reading a little about them. They’re about a half inch big. And I also lost 1 or 2 in her cage hahah, and was hoping if anyone knows if I’m gonna end up with a ton of baby roaches in there since I know they tend to reproduce quickly

Half inch are pretty much still nymphs. Maybe do 12-14 roaches of that size every other day? Don't worry about them breeding if they are that small, your cham will likely snipe them wayy before they can grow and mate. My cham woke up this morning before the lights turned on and he was crunching on an adult dubia that was wandering in his cage. I think the roach fell from above, hitting his sleeping branch, and woke him up.. I heard it hit the floor of the cage and then 5 minutes later I hear the crunches.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Neonates: as many small crickets as they can eat several times a day
Juveniles 3-6 months of age: 10-12 small crickets daily
Juveniles 6-12 months of age: 10-12 medium crickets every other day
Adults over 12 months of age: 7-10 medium-large crickets every other day

Half inch are pretty much still nymphs. Maybe do 12-14 roaches of that size every other day? Don't worry about them breeding if they are that small, your cham will likely snipe them wayy before they can grow and mate. My cham woke up this morning before the lights turned on and he was crunching on an adult dubia that was wandering in his cage.

Ok perfect thank you so much that info
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Neonates: as many small crickets as they can eat several times a day
Juveniles 3-6 months of age: 10-12 small crickets daily
Juveniles 6-12 months of age: 10-12 medium crickets every other day
Adults over 12 months of age: 7-10 medium-large crickets every other day

Hey so I just started giving my 8 month old female veiled Dubai roaches and she seems to like them a lot and was curious on how many is ok? I gave her 5 or 6 large ones today which I guess aren’t technically large after reading a little about them. They’re about a half inch big. And I also lost 1 or 2 in her cage hahah, and was hoping if anyone knows if I’m gonna end up with a ton of baby roaches in there since I know they tend to reproduce quickly
If you have an 8 month old female I would be a bit more careful with feeder amounts personally... If you are trying to reduce her egg production for her with lower feeding and lower temps this would be how... The size dubia your talking about would be considered small.

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeders so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3-4 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 10 months old.

You will not want basking to be over 80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

If you have an 8 month old female I would be a bit more careful with feeder amounts personally... If you are trying to reduce her egg production for her with lower feeding and lower temps this would be how... The size dubia your talking about would be considered small.

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeders so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3-4 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 10 months old.

You will not want basking to be over 80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Ok thank you I’m taking notes of this because I’d never been told any of that before from any vet or anyone. She seemed a little uncomfortable a little while back when I had her basking spot closer to 80 though. do you think she’ll get used to it if I bring it down again?

Ok thank you I’m taking notes of this because I’d never been told any of that before from any vet or anyone. She seemed a little uncomfortable a little while back when I had her basking spot closer to 80 though. do you think she’ll get used to it if I bring it down again?
What is it at now? How close is she to the basking fixture? 80 would be a max for a female. Typically keepers that I know keep them at 78-79 at basking.
Information is always changing in this hobby. THe keepers that I know that do this have much healthier females with smaller clutches.

What is it at now? How close is she to the basking fixture? 80 would be a max for a female. Typically keepers that I know keep them at 78-79 at basking.
Information is always changing in this hobby. THe keepers that I know that do this have much healthier females with smaller clutches.

The basking spot sits at 82-84 changing in between that range slightly from time to time. She’s a few inches below the basking spot right now which is probably in the high 70s. I’ll try out a cooler bulb. She has a Nice big And bright bulb for her cage right now but I know they make the same ones for cooler basking temps.

The basking spot sits at 82-84 changing in between that range slightly from time to time. She’s a few inches below the basking spot right now which is probably in the high 70s. I’ll try out a cooler bulb. She has a Nice big And bright bulb for her cage right now but I know they make the same ones for cooler basking temps.
Yeah so I would ensure that the spot is not hotter then 80. A regular incandescent bulb will work for this. And this is your girl that just laid a clutch successfully correct? How much are you currently feeding her and how frequently?

Yeah so I would ensure that the spot is not hotter then 80. A regular incandescent bulb will work for this. And this is your girl that just laid a clutch successfully correct? How much are you currently feeding her and how frequently?

I apologize I just got back on the website, haven’t been on for a while. I changed her bulb and now the basking spot sits at 80. And yes she laid her last clutch a week ago now. And I feed her 8–10 feeders a day right now. Split up between 2 different feeding times.

also, Earlier Beman said that by the time they are ten months old, (for a female at least) they need to be on a schedule of 3-4 feeders 3 times a week. I would definitely switch to that soon, but ease into it. Slowly reduce the amount of feeders she is getting. ???

I apologize I just got back on the website, haven’t been on for a while. I changed her bulb and now the basking spot sits at 80. And yes she laid her last clutch a week ago now. And I feed her 8–10 feeders a day right now. Split up between 2 different feeding times.
How many eggs did she lay? I feed my adult ladies 3-4 medium sized feeders only 3 times a week. It’s best to feed just once in the morning to give time to bask and digest properly.

also, Earlier Beman said that by the time they are ten months old, (for a female at least) they need to be on a schedule of 3-4 feeders 3 times a week. I would definitely switch to that soon, but ease into it. Slowly reduce the amount of feeders she is getting. ???
Pearl fields is right don't switch all the sudden slowly ween her into it. :)

How many eggs did she lay? I feed my adult ladies 3-4 medium sized feeders only 3 times a week. It’s best to feed just once in the morning to give time to bask and digest properly.

She laid 36 which I assumed was normal. I’ve read online female veileds lay a minimum of 35. And yes! I am slowly starting to cut back on feeders right now with her

Back
Top Bottom