Dubai colony questions

Lacilolol

I’ll be starting my Dubai colony soon with 10 females and 2 males and I’m super excited! Do you have any tips/tricks/pointers for a newbie? Do I use an under the tank heater? I’m using a 72-quart storage bin. Will the plastic not get too hot and or melt/catch my house on fire? Lol

If you do a heat mat make sure you buy a thermostat to control the heat. I personally don’t use one, my house stay warm enough and there is some thermal heat going on in the bins from self compositing. I keep mine on dirt, coco bark, moss and cork flats. I have 4 holes on my lid to allow air flow. When it’s time to get a heat source for the insects I will be going a space heater or a che.

If I didn’t answer all your question feel free to ask more. You can even pm me if you like. I love bugs :love:

If you do a heat mat make sure you buy a thermostat to control the heat. I personally don’t use one, my house stay warm enough and there is some thermal heat going on in the bins from self compositing. I keep mine on dirt, coco bark, moss and cork flats. I have 4 holes on my lid to allow air flow. When it’s time to get a heat source for the insects I will be going a space heater or a che.

If I didn’t answer all your question feel free to ask more. You can even pm me if you like. I love bugs :love:

Imma slide into those DM's with some bug questions!

Is that like a heat blanket but in a mat form?

Its mat, most of the time it doesnt come with the button on blanket. But it never shuts off, which is what you are looking for. A lot of the dog/cat bed have "pet sense/attract mode" which means they only heat to 85f, to attract pets, and then some how the mat realizes its has something on it, and heats up to 102 (internal dog/cat temp).

Its mat, most of the time it doesnt come with the button on blanket. But it never shuts off, which is what you are looking for. A lot of the dog/cat bed have "pet sense/attract mode" which means they only heat to 85f, to attract pets, and then some how the mat realizes its has something on it, and heats up to 102 (internal dog/cat temp).

Wow did EVERYONE Change their PFP on me?! I missed the memo!

Here's my setup, my colony is doing pretty good after almost a year. From what I read, you want to avoid using an underside heater because roaches will burrow to get away from heat, only bringing them closer to the heat. But I think many have success using an underside heater. Definitely get a thermostat and keep it around 90F.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...up-for-sale-located-in-nj.169222/post-1494551

Here's the stuff pictured in my setup. I would probably choose a different heat pad as mine struggles to keep 90F if it's chilly in the room, this may be due to there being no adhesive on it--it's stuck on only by the tape on the sides. I would get one that has an adhesive on one side. I highly recommend the below dubia chow, they swarm it within seconds of filling up their bowl and it's gone shortly after. This is a good daily feeder, but you should also throw in fruits & veggies, especially oranges as these are known to get them in the mood to make babies.

Back
Top Bottom