Drying Scab.

Syn

Avid Member
Well, I must have missed taking out a cricket last night, because this morning when I woke up I realized that my Nosy Be had a little drying scab right next to his mouth. Then again, he eats extremely slowly, and I would not doubt at all that he was just bitten because he doesn't kill the crickets right away.

I have two concerns:

1. How do I clean up the scab? I don't want it to get "infected".

2. Why is he eating so slowly? It takes him a good minute or two to chew his food! Will he ever learn? Is he savoring the flavor?

Well, I must have missed taking out a cricket last night, because this morning when I woke up I realized that my Nosy Be had a little drying scab right next to his mouth. Then again, he eats extremely slowly, and I would not doubt at all that he was just bitten because he doesn't kill the crickets right away.

I have two concerns:

2. Why is he eating so slowly? It takes him a good minute or two to chew his food! Will he ever learn? Is he savoring the flavor?

Hi Sabrina,

Where exactly is the scab? Could this be a gum/tooth infection instead? Is it near the corner of the mouth? This could be a sign of a temporal gland infection. Do you have a photo you could show?

Fabián

It's a scab it's on the outside of the mouth by the skin, but I'll be glad to get a picture just to be sure. Be right back!

I have two concerns:

For the scab if its not too close to the mouth use neosporin.

as far as eating goes maybe double check his basking temps and hydration. And its ok if he takes his time as long as he gets it down.

:)

iycrw7.jpg

2wme4ps.jpg

For the scab if its not too close to the mouth use neosporin.

as far as eating goes maybe double check his basking temps and hydration.

:)
It's a bit close. :\

He's hydrated, as much as he'd like to be. Basking temp ranges from 80-90.

What do feed him? just wondernig what could eat that much out of him :p

I think you said crickets right?

Sorry, just read again - it is crickets... ill google this :)

mmmmk my only other idea would be bug juice. you try to see if its dried juice or will fall off?
I didn't even think of that. He's a bit mad so I'll get a wet q-tip and gently rub it and see if anything comes off. Wish me luck! *gulp*

Well, it certainly did not fall off. I looked at my q-tip after rubbing it (and he got a little mad) and there was a ... tiny bit of a black residue on it?

My Ambilobe is also a slow eater. He will grab prey in his mouth and let it just sit there for about a minute before he starts to chew it and swallow it down. Maybe he only does it when I'm watching though? He's usually not a very big fan of me.

Oh yeah... you can rule out temporal gland infection. That's good news. It's a scab? It looks shiny... all I can say is keep it clean. I wouldn't use any irritants though.

Good luck...

Last edited:
My Ambilobe is also a slow eater. He will grab prey in his mouth and let it just sit there for about a minute before he starts to chew it and swallow it down. Maybe he only does it when I'm watching though? He's usually not a very big fan of me.

I leave him alone after I put some crickets in. I'll walk by a few minutes later or I'll see him from far away and he's just letting it sit in his mouth, doing nothing.

Oh yeah... you can rule a temporal gland infection. That's good news. It's a scab? It looks shiny... all I can say is keep it clean. I wouldn't use any irritants though.

Good luck...

Thanks Meru, glad it's not serious. :3 It is shiny. :confused: I think it's because when scabs first heal they tend to have a glossy look to them.

If at all possible take a Q tip and apply a liberal amount of neosporin. Thats after you clean it with some warm fresh water.

Thats what i have done in the past just to be safe

Back
Top Bottom