Drooling?

ThisNewCham

So El Chamino, today, was drooling. I walked in and he had a nbig spit bubble, and ten is popped and it was drooling and such. It look thick and sticky.

Any help?

My cham has URI. I first noticed it when he would start "yawning" frequently. So I thought it was nothing.

After a several days, he started forming this thick saliva inside his mouth then I saw a bubble form. I grabbed a qtip and wiped off the excess saliva/mucus gently. It also started coming out of his nostrils and it blocked it so I wiped that off too.

The next day or the day after the next day after that I took him to the vet & he confirmed it. And of course, when the vet saw him he didn't have that much mucus in his mouth anymore.

He said they could get those overnight just like a person gets a cold or doesn't feel well all of a sudden.

PS

The thick saliva would form inside the sides of his mouth, he didn't have it in the middle yet when the vet saw him.

Vet also said it has to do with having the proper husbandy for that individual cham.

One of my Panthers had the same thing. I walked into the room and he was foaming at the mouth. I almost fell over I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Then I held him and he was gurgling and gasping for air.

I immediately put him on Baytril for 10 days and he recovered fine. I attribute it to freakish weather we've been having. Its scorching one week and cold the next. This week has been record breaking temps. I came home and he was sleeping with his mouth open he was so hot.

Any temp changes or swings with your guy?

Well it was so hot and humid last week, and this past week is gradually got cooler, but nothing too drastic. This is the first time I saw this, and now he's back to being normal. I haven't heard him gasping for air or anything, I just walked in and saw some spit hanging there.

Yeah he did have a bubble ont he otuside of his mouth. We didn't get to open it...I'll do that first thing in the morning when he wakes up (as he is sleeping now)

Yeah, you might want check his mouth and see if there's a build up of saliva tomorrow.

There should not be any bubbles coming out & they shouldn't be drooling.

Chams go downhill pretty fast & sometimes it's hard for them to recover if the illness is advanced.

Oh yeah thats right, it's Saturday night.

My vet prescribed Baytril as well for my cham that has URI. He's on his 6th day of Baytril.

Should also mention, before I left, a few hours after he was drooling, he was hissing at my buddy, and his mouth was dry on the inside and it looked normal.

When I went to the vet my chams mouth didn't have any mucus in it but believe me he had URI. My vet didn't want to do any culture or blood test because he said the throat was clear so he said "if I wanted to", he can give me Baytril.

I told him I'd use it only if I see the mucus comes back, good thing I took it cuz I did see the saliva again after 2-3 days.

Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't. It's better to take preventative measures than go to the vet when the cham is really sick and won't eat.

Usually, by the time you see something is wrong, it's too late. My cham was still acting normal & eating and drinking when I took him to the vet.

But because I see him everyday, I know something is wrong. His colors were off.

My other chams do not open their mouths unless it's too hot and even then I don't see them drooling or have excess saliva in their mouths let alone see bubbles coming out of them. Their mouths are usually closed so when I saw my cham in this situation, I didn't take a chance and just had him checked. Plus, since I was there I had the vet do a fecal & they said he had worms (roundworms I believe) and this was fairly common.

PS

Believe me, I hated that 1 1/2 hr drive stuck in traffic. It took me 4 1/2 hrs before I got home.

And I went straight to the vet after coming home from work. And my works starts at 5:45 am ..ugghhhh

Plus, I was thinking of it this way.. Do I want to lose $350 or do I want to spend $100 for the vet?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom