Dripper Question

Iguanagirl8662

The drippers we have on our chameleons soak the bottom of their cages. We have been putting a cups under the dripper but the knock it over sometimes. What do you do to keep the drippers from soaking everything?

You'll find some suggestions here.

This might just be me, but I don't think an open container of water is safe to have in a cage. If you decide to stick with a "catch cup" I'd suggest covering it with a fabric net to prevent the chameleon from falling into it and drowning.

Drippers are a great way to water your chams. I believe they are best used to simulate a gentle rain dripping through the trees. I like to set them so they drip slowly onto leaves and branches, starting close to the top of the cage in a spot accessible to the cham, somewhere near it's basking spot maybe. The light sparkling off the droplets as they drip and move through the leaves actually attracts the chams attention and stimulates it to drink. I have used a big plant saucer under the plant that I'm dripping onto to catch most of the water. If you set the plant up with a good drainage layer and a fast draining soil mix, I have found most plants never need to be watered again and do quite well once you sort out your drip amounts vs. your catch basin. Dumping the basin as it collects water. Cheers!

Last edited:
I have an olde tupperware container that I've drilled a hole in that takes a garden cane, and a few extra holds to help water flow into the tupperware...

I set the drip up so it drips onto the cane, and then 95% of the water goes straight into the tupperware without forming a puddle or an area for creatures to drown

You'll find some suggestions here.

This might just be me, but I don't think an open container of water is safe to have in a cage. If you decide to stick with a "catch cup" I'd suggest covering it with a fabric net to prevent the chameleon from falling into it and drowning.

Thanks, that's why I'm asking. I've heard other people say this.

I've been using a Terracotta base from an old flower pot, the clay absorbs most of the water, plus it's shallow and really easy to clean. Also you can throw it in the oven to disinfect and dry it.

Back
Top Bottom