Drip system setup

culpepperc

Theres alot of discussion going on about Mist system vs. drip system, and I've been weighing out the pros and cons. So, yesterday I finally decided to make a homemade drip system instead of forking over the $120+ for a Mistking setup. Well it has turned out awesome and was half the cost. I just wanted to share the details for those looking for an alternative. My panther didn't really like being sprayed with the hand mister I'd been using, but he has immediately started drinking from my drip line. I haven't found any supplies lists on the forums, so heres what I used.

All my materials came from Lowes and my local pet store.
-1 36" bubble wand ($10)
-8' of 1/8"ID air line hose (<$1)
-1' of 1/2"ID hose (<$1)
-1 Smartpond 230gpm fountain pump ($40) *Could possibly use smaller one
-3 brass adapters to make 1/2" line go to 1/8' line ($5)
-(These were the hardest thing to find, but lowes has what you need. 1 1/2"male to 1/4"female)(1 1/4" male to 1/4" male)(1 1/4" female to 1/8" male)
-Digital timer ($15)

I coiled the bubble wand to reach the entire cage, and set it up to run for 3 minutes 5 times a day in 4 hour increments. It's SO nice to not have to worry about manual spraying schedules. The pump has a control valve so the drip intensity can be tweeked easily. I would recommend this setup, and it honestly exceeded my expectations. Take that Mistking! :cool:

PS: Do you guys think my drip timing schedule is good?

I don't have pics, but I'll try and post some later today. It's a pretty straight forward assembly though. Only took me 30 minutes to set up everything. Just connect the hoses from the pump to the bubble wand, and then submerge to pump in a 5gal bucket. Have as little slack in your line as possible, as it could reduce your drip pressure. Wrapping all your seals with teflon tape will help increase pressure, and reduce leak potential as well. Also, when looking for a pump, just make sure the lift height rating of the pump is >5' so the water will be able to reach the top of the cage. Good luck!

I don't have pics, but I'll try and post some later today. It's a pretty straight forward assembly though. Only took me 30 minutes to set up everything. Just connect the hoses from the pump to the bubble wand, and then submerge to pump in a 5gal bucket. Have as little slack in your line as possible, as it could reduce your drip pressure. Wrapping all your seals with teflon tape will help increase pressure, and reduce leak potential as well. Also, when looking for a pump, just make sure the lift height rating of the pump is >5' so the water will be able to reach the top of the cage. Good luck!

Thanks so much I am gonna go to Lowes today!!!!!!!

It does work well. I have a sim setup using an aquarium power head instead of a pool pump and my cham just loves it :)

Heres some pics. of the setup.

Attachments

• {NUMBER1.jpg
    {NUMBER1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 522
  • drip.jpg
    drip.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 493
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 487
Thanks for the pics! I love this setup, I love it so much I'm going to buy the parts and build it tonight after work! Speaking of parts, did the pump come from Lowes or did it come from the pet store??

very good idea

I am trying to find that pump online but I am having trouble finding it.
Could you possibly give me the full name so I may find it online.

It all really depends on the cham, some like and need misting and some hate getting wet.
The most important thing is to make sure the method you use is to the chams liking and its getting hydrated.
I use drippers for my panthers because they hate to be misted.But I do mist their eyes twice a week for good eye health.

Love the forum

Your idea for this dripper is so awesome!! After work I did go to Lowes and the pet store to get the supplies to make the dripper. WOW! It works even better than I thought it would. Both of my chams HATE to get misted, so this is the ultimate way for them to get their water. Although I will still mist probaby once a day or so, they won't have to worry about this huge spray bottle coming after them. Thanks again for the idea..... Cheers!

Thanks a million!!!!

I have been using your dripper system idea for several weeks now and I love it. I saw my male, Lazer, drink for the first time ever! :) It really makes my life easier and I don't have to worry about getting them their water if I am gone from the house all day. Thanks again for the idea, and I think that everyone should try to make this simple, inexpensive, and reliable water drip system
Cheers
:D:)

im new to chameleons, i just got my 1st baby veiled chameleon and he freaks out if any water gets on him when i spray the cage.

do you guys think that this drip system would be better than me spray the cage with a bottle?

How old is the baby? If he is too little you might want to wait a little while until he can handle large drops. Babies can asperate if they get too much water in their mouth. Most people on here will mist the leaves for babies until they are around 3 months, then use a drip system.
Good to see another Texas resident on here. Welcome!

well im not really sure how old he is. i just got him at a houston repticon show. he is about an inch and a half long, maybe 2inches

Back
Top Bottom