Drinking Daily

theresaintucson

I have never seen my ambilobe drink though he has a dripper and gets misted 3 times daily. But my other chams will prop themselves right under the dripper and almost bathe in it. Is that the way with other chams?

well, some ambilobe are a pit shy when it comes to eating and drinkin in from of people.

try and be by it alot and take it out to improve its confidence with people.

or he might just drink at night

mabye you might see him drink in a while.

longtongue:
:)

my nosy be drinks when im in the room but when i look over to see what shes doing, and she sees me, she stops drinking lol.

well, some ambilobe are a pit shy when it comes to eating and drinkin in from of people.

try and be by it alot and take it out to improve its confidence with people.

or he might just drink at night

mabye you might see him drink in a while.

longtongue:
:)

Chameleons are reptiles and do not socialize with us humans. You shouldn't add more time being around your chameleon, especially handling extra. Only handle when needed. Chameleons are display animals, and are excellent at just that.

FYI - Some chameleons might tolerate us, but none of them show emotions towards humans other than "leave me alone or I will bite you". Unless... If your chameleon is very calm and doesn't show it's stress towards you... yet. Although some animals never show aggression, it still doesn't mean they are animals that are OK to handle.

Please consider... You will meet lots of people who say their chameleon loves them, whenever they open their chameleon's cage, their chameleon climbs out to greet them... :rolleyes:

If your chameleon climbs out of it's cage and climbs on your hand and MAYBE :p climbs on top of your head, it's because he/she wants to explore, not make you feel special and warm inside. Sorry.

Chameleons live for: Food, water, and eventually mating.

Anyways,

Set your chameleon up with a drip system. Check out Screameleons.com's info. page. They show you how they care for their Panthers and it is a great example page for proper care.

I have never seen my ambilobe drink though he has a dripper and gets misted 3 times daily. But my other chams will prop themselves right under the dripper and almost bathe in it. Is that the way with other chams?

My Nosy Be LOVES to shower under his dripper. My Ambilobe however won't even bother with his dripper he may drink the run off from the leaves but usually drinks during his misting.

I have also noticed when I set up a dripper for a chameleon who has never had one it takes them a little bit of time to figure it out. Is your Ambilobe younger or newer to the environment? Maybe he just hasn't got the just of it yet.

As long as your misting, offering a dripper and his urates are white, I would say he is an undercover drinker lol

Chameleons are reptiles and do not socialize with us humans. You shouldn't add more time being around your chameleon, especially handling extra. Only handle when needed. Chameleons are display animals, and are excellent at just that.

FYI - Some chameleons might tolerate us, but none of them show emotions towards humans other than "leave me alone or I will bite you". Unless... If your chameleon is very calm and doesn't show it's stress towards you... yet. Although some animals never show aggression, it still doesn't mean they are animals that are OK to handle.

Please consider... You will meet lots of people who say their chameleon loves them, whenever they open their chameleon's cage, their chameleon climbs out to greet them... :rolleyes:

If your chameleon climbs out of it's cage and climbs on your hand and MAYBE :p climbs on top of your head, it's because he/she wants to explore, not make you feel special and warm inside. Sorry.

Chameleons live for: Food, water, and eventually mating.

Anyways,

Set your chameleon up with a drip system. Check out Screameleons.com's info. page. They show you how they care for their Panthers and it is a great example page for proper care.

but how do you know this for a fact? Why are you so hellbent on the fact that there is not a friendly chameleon out there who just might like their owner? I think there are exceptions to every species. Sorry but JMO. I happen to have a very NICE chameleon. I literally can pet him under his chin and he does not flinch. (While he is in his cage mind you)

im having a hard time getting my guy to drink as well. i have a dripper that goes for about 6 hours and my mistking is on for 35 mins a day but for some reason he is still slightly dehydrated.

but how do you know this for a fact? Why are you so hellbent on the fact that there is not a friendly chameleon out there who just might like their owner? I think there are exceptions to every species. Sorry but JMO. I happen to have a very NICE chameleon. I literally can pet him under his chin and he does not flinch. (While he is in his cage mind you)

Because we all know it all! Everyone's experiences are all the same and everybody knows better then the poster above them.

And now back to topic. I say he's just shy.

Because we all know it all! Everyone's experiences are all the same and everybody knows better then the poster above them.

And now back to topic. I say he's just shy.

lol! I agree some are, but some ain't cause they all ain't the same....just sayin haha

I have never seen my veiled drink either... He will eat no more than 7 crickets in front of me, the rest he waits till I leave the room, but water, he won't even look at it while I'm around. I leave the dripper on all day and mist as much as I think about it. I've had him about 2 months, and he's still alive, he must be drinking... right?

Kaylie, as long as the white part of his poop is white, then yes he is drinking and hydrated. If it is orange, then he is DEhydrated.

Since you are some what new, if you feed him a new feeder, especially a horn worm, expect his poop to be runny. :)

I'd bet my life on it, if you were to get zapped by a "honey I shrunk the kids" gun and fell into his cage, he'd eat you, not nurture you. He's a reptile dude, plain and simple kid.

He won't try to eat something as large as you, and if he isn't trying to bite you, doesn't mean anything at all.

I made the mistake on my second chameleon, A Sambava. He never showed any signs of anger, aggression... I thought he was OK with me handling him... So I got carried away and took lots of pictures of him... Maybe had him out 10-15 min. every other day. In just 7 weeks he died. He died at 5 months of age because of me.

Since you are some what new, if you feed him a new feeder, especially a horn worm, expect his poop to be runny. :)

I'd bet my life on it, if you were to get zapped by a "honey I shrunk the kids" gun and fell into his cage, he'd eat you, not nurture you. He's a reptile dude, plain and simple kid.

He won't try to eat something as large as you, and if he isn't trying to bite you, doesn't mean anything at all.

I made the mistake on my second chameleon, A Sambava. He never showed any signs of anger, aggression... I thought he was OK with me handling him... So I got carried away and took lots of pictures of him... Maybe had him out 10-15 min. every other day. In just 7 weeks he died. He died at 5 months of age because of me.

maybe its the camera than you handling him as the main source of stress trigger.....it can be a good guess...

Drinking

My female veiled drinks by shooting her tongue on a wet leaf. I observed this about three times since I bought her two weeks ago. I thought she was going for a cricket only to find out that she was taking some water spots off the leaves with her tongue. I first thought she missed her target, meaning the cricket....

Back
Top Bottom