Drinking and color???

RUNNERBOY

I just got a chameleon (his name is Stacy, yes, his name. Lords of Dogtown influence) and I haven't seen him drink any water yet. he is still just a baby (about 2.5 inches long) and i have had him for almost a week now. is he drinking and i am just no seeing it? or how long do they last without water? i have the dripper dripping on to a plant that goes down into a water bowlish/pool thingy and i mist several times a day but how can i make water more accessible for him to drink?

also. he has been a dark green color for a really long time and every so often i will catch him in a lime green color which looks a little happier than his dark green/grey. does this mean anything? is he just trying to hide from me or is he grumpy about the new move in?

I just got a chameleon (his name is Stacy, yes, his name. Lords of Dogtown influence) and I haven't seen him drink any water yet. he is still just a baby (about 2.5 inches long) and i have had him for almost a week now. is he drinking and i am just no seeing it? or how long do they last without water? i have the dripper dripping on to a plant that goes down into a water bowlish/pool thingy and i mist several times a day but how can i make water more accessible for him to drink?

also. he has been a dark green color for a really long time and every so often i will catch him in a lime green color which looks a little happier than his dark green/grey. does this mean anything? is he just trying to hide from me or is he grumpy about the new move in?

Colors determine their mood... Darker colors usually mean stress but not all the time. He might still be acclimating to his new home and environment and should be okay. Just leave him be and just do his normal feeding, cleaning, and watering and he should settle in nicely.

As for his drinking, the best way to tell if he is well hydrated is by checking his urate (little white tip in his poo). If it is white he is good but if it is yellow or orange it is a sign of dehydration along with sunken eyes. My little guy did not start drinking in front of me until after 2 and a half months and even now I sometimes I don't see him drink. :) Some Chams are different and he might not EVER drink in front of you. :D

I have had my cham since a little before November and still have not seen him drink. My boyfriend did though :mad:
Make sure your bowl for catching water is not too deep, or at least shallow enough that your cham can climb out if he gets/falls into it. I have heard they drown easily.

I wouldn't use a water bowl. For one, I don't think chameleons will drink from it. And two, it will introduce bacteria you don't want.

Wow I must be lucky and I'm so gonna brag it because I'm proud: but my cham likes, maybe even loves to drink in front of me. When he sees me grab the mist bottle, he'll come to me and start licking the tip of the bottle. It's great. So at least I know he's getting his water daily. :D

Only issue with that, is if I want to take a vaction for more than a day... :\ you can see my potential problem... and he only likes me...

Back
Top Bottom