Drake In Memoriam

radstusky

Avid Member
Drake was a very special Jackson's chameleon who has left us too soon. He recently had these bumps on his skin and swollen joints in his legs and when I took him to the vet a couple weeks ago he also had a respiratory infection. All of which has lead to his death yesterday.

My vet says he lived the average length for a chameleon, I believe he was just over 3.5 years old. In fact, my vet says he's never seen a 4 year old chameleon. Although I know from some here that they've had chams live as long as 7 years. In any case, while I love to keep chameleons, it is sort of a bummer that they don't live a little longer. It's tough to deal with a pet death every 3-4 years isn't it? How do you do it?

Here are some pictures to remember Drake by:

Stuart, I am so very sorry to hear that you lost Drake. Loosing these guys is never easy and I've had a hard time loosing mine so I know just how you feel. They bring me so much pleasure when they are with me and then so much pain when they leave me. I'm begaining to wonder if the joy is worth the pain.

Drake was a very handsome boy and he looks like he was a real sweetheart. You have my condolences.

Stuart, I am so very sorry to hear that you lost Drake. Loosing these guys is never easy and I've had a hard time loosing mine so I know just how you feel. They bring me so much pleasure when they are with me and then so much pain when they leave me. I'm begaining to wonder if the joy is worth the pain.

Drake was a very handsome boy and he looks like he was a real sweetheart. You have my condolences.

Thanks Jan, he was a really handsome and healthy chameleon in his day! I'm glad to have had him while he was with me. This is the dilemma, is the joy worth the pain? I guess this is the question for any pet actually, but with chameleons being relatively short-lived, how much is that a factor? I think that because of the extra care required, perhaps we become even more attached. Anyway, these are things to think about. Will I get a new chameleon to fill the empty cage? I haven't decided yet...

I am so sorry for your loss... I recently lost my jackson who meant a lot to me as well. Drake was a perfect looking jackson (what a beatiful green and perfect horns) and he undoubtedly lived a happy life with you.

They definitely leave us too soon; at the same time they remind us that life is finite and we have to cherish the people and animals we love today. For me, it would be a shame that the inevitable loss of something great would prevent one from enjoying it in the first place.

Awe Stuart, I am sorry to hear this. I know you take great pride in your chameleons and taking care of them. Sometimes, it does not matter how good of care we give them, they still get sick. They really are remarkable creatures and they are very easy to get attached to. I took it very hard for quite awhile when Romeo died. I hope Leo will have many more happy years with you. RIP Drake. I know you are going to be missed.

Thanks everyone! Yes Drake was very special and will be missed, I think we'll definitely get another chameleon of some sort eventually. I don't have any plans at the moment but we'll see. Of course I take great pride in keeping these wonderful animals and will keep it going!

Back
Top Bottom