Drainage tray frustration (sorry to keep asking so many questions)

PlanetRemulak

Avid Member
So, I ordered a 26” x 26” ABS plastic drainage tray. It came with a 3/4” drain pipe fitting, but I had a feeling the water I ran into it wouldn’t drain out unless the pan was halfway to nearly full. The issue is that the drain pipe has been installed into the front side of the pan, meaning the lip of the pipe sticks out and just a bit too far above the standing water at the bottom of the tray to drain out. I did try raising the drain pan up about 1/4 inch or so, but I’ve still got the same issue. Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a fix? Maybe it would be best to cap off the pipe and drill a hole into the bottom for a MistKing bulkhead? I’m not sure what size I’d need to use, or what size hole to drill. If I put anything into the bottom of the tray, it’s going to have to sit flush (or pretty close to flush) with the floor of the train to drain the standing water out. I’ve included pics of my tray in case I’m not making any sense. Thanks!

Attachments

• FCB9DBFA-180E-4C07-8390-78B9849A0A10.jpeg
    FCB9DBFA-180E-4C07-8390-78B9849A0A10.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 4F94232E-7B8C-4750-A4A5-441CB3B2588B.jpeg
    4F94232E-7B8C-4750-A4A5-441CB3B2588B.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 177
The only fix that I can see is to cap that drain off and create another one on the bottom if you want it to drain continuously. The other option is to still cap it off and use a wet vac to remove the water daily.
I realized after I looked at the pictures that I actually had the drain pipe fitting in backwards.. whoops. Turned it round and while the opening is larger, drainage is still next to non existent unless I lean the tray pretty far forward. Anyway, it draining continuously through a tube into a bucket is what I’m going for. Any ideas as to what sort of attachment to use for a second drain on the bottom?

The only fix that I can see is to cap that drain off and create another one on the bottom if you want it to drain continuously
I think this is your best option. And then raise it a bit towards your preferred corner, where you drilled the new hole on the bottom. I would get the same 3/4” drain pipe fitting, then you know which diameter hole you need to drill.

It can get tricky. To drain continuously, you want the invert of the drain at the same level as the bottom of the pan, however reviewing the specs of this particular pan, it seems that it is intended to retain a small amount of water. Even with minimal (1/4" total) pitch, this should just be along the edge nearest the drain.

Is there some reason it has to drain continuously? Even DS pans have the same problem with bulkheads and dams that retain small amounts of water.

Daily misting should be enough to keep this rivulet from stagnating and causing a problem.

If you want to keep the amount of water lower than the top of the bulk head you can carefully drill holes into the side of the interior nut before you install it. I used a tiny drill bit and a vise to hold it steady.
If the standing water is a concern you can just dump household hydrogen peroxide into the drain pan periodically to treat the water.

I purchased a similar pan. I dumped it bc I was not happy with it. I ended up buying a real shower pan and installed it to sit on the table stand. Lifted the enclosure with ceiling grate and wire baskets (the pan was a little deep). I love it. Works fantastic for drainage.

I purchased a similar pan. I dumped it bc I was not happy with it. I ended up buying a real shower pan and installed it to sit on the table stand. Lifted the enclosure with ceiling grate and wire baskets (the pan was a little deep). I love it. Works fantastic for drainage.
It’s a little hard to visualize, but I think I’ve got the gist of your set u. Would you happen to have a link handy for the same shower pan you used? I’m liking the idea of ceiling grate both to lift the cage off the bottom of the pan, and to lift my UV/grow lights as well. Since the drain pan I currently have is already here - and I am very strongly considering drilling holes into it - I’ll most likely make use of what I have for now. I will probably want to switch to a set up similar to yours, however.

Thank you so much for your input!

I think this is your best option. And then raise it a bit towards your preferred corner, where you drilled the new hole on the bottom. I would get the same 3/4” drain pipe fitting, then you know which diameter hole you need to drill.
Getting the same sized fitting for the bottom of the pan probably makes the most sense. Thank you for your input!

I have the same set up as you so I need to do the same thing I guess.
Not necessarily! I’m the weirdo that decided this set up HAD to drain continuously. Based on the responses I’ve got, it sounds like there are ways to keep any standing water at the bottom from stagnating.

It can get tricky. To drain continuously, you want the invert of the drain at the same level as the bottom of the pan, however reviewing the specs of this particular pan, it seems that it is intended to retain a small amount of water. Even with minimal (1/4" total) pitch, this should just be along the edge nearest the drain.

Is there some reason it has to drain continuously? Even DS pans have the same problem with bulkheads and dams that retain small amounts of water.

Daily misting should be enough to keep this rivulet from stagnating and causing a problem.
There isn’t any REAL reason why the pan *has* to be set up to drain continuously, other than that was the idea I had in mind and I’m overcomplicating things (I’m a professional at that). Initially I was worried about any water left standing stagnating and smelling weird, but it sounds to me like there are ways around that. Of course I would prefer for it to drain out into a bucket so that I can simply take the bucket out and dump it, but really I’ll just be grateful to have excess water in the tray instead of on my floor.

If you want to keep the amount of water lower than the top of the bulk head you can carefully drill holes into the side of the interior nut before you install it. I used a tiny drill bit and a vise to hold it steady.
If the standing water is a concern you can just dump household hydrogen peroxide into the drain pan periodically to treat the water.
I may be a little dense, but I had no idea that household peroxide could be used for that purpose. Thank you for the info! Water stagnating was ultimately what I was worried about. Speaking of sounding dense, can I ask what you mean by drilling into the side of the interior nut?

Thank you everyone for your input! It is definitely appreciated. Once more I’m sorry to keep coming back with millions of questions (your patience is definitely appreciated as well)!

It’s a little hard to visualize, but I think I’ve got the gist of your set u. Would you happen to have a link handy for the same shower pan you used? I’m liking the idea of ceiling grate both to lift the cage off the bottom of the pan, and to lift my UV/grow lights as well.
That could seriously reduce the amount of light from both.
I use small blocks of wood to raise the UVB, and slats to raise the grow lights. Both are less than an inch above the screen.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/

I have an alternative I'm using on Missus tortoise table, but it involves a little more carpentry.

There are 2 parts to the bulkhead that screw together. The interior portion has a hexagonal or round lipped portion that snugs up against the interior of the container. I drilled sideways into this part of the fitting so the water would not have all the way up to go up to the level of the bulk head. It is not necessary to do this but it can reduce the amount of water in your drainage tray.

There are 2 parts to the bulkhead that screw together. The interior portion has a hexagonal or round lipped portion that snugs up against the interior of the container. I drilled sideways into this part of the fitting so the water would not have all the way up to go up to the level of the bulk head. It is not necessary to do this but it can reduce the amount of water in your drainage tray.
Gotcha, I get it now. Thank you so much! I think I’m going to give this a shot.

That could seriously reduce the amount of light from both.
I use small blocks of wood to raise the UVB, and slats to raise the grow lights. Both are less than an inch above the screen.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/

I have an alternative I'm using on Missus tortoise table, but it involves a little more carpentry.
Yikes, thank you for the heads up! looks like I’ll still be using blocks of 2 x 4’s on either ends of the T5 fixture. I saw you used ceiling grate as a climbing wall, though? I think that‘s genius. I may have to steal that idea from you.

It’s a little hard to visualize, but I think I’ve got the gist of your set u. Would you happen to have a link handy for the same shower pan you used? I’m liking the idea of ceiling grate both to lift the cage off the bottom of the pan, and to lift my UV/grow lights as well. Since the drain pan I currently have is already here - and I am very strongly considering drilling holes into it - I’ll most likely make use of what I have for now. I will probably want to switch to a set up similar to yours, however.

Thank you so much for your input!
Never have standing water. Lifted up the enclosure with dollar store wire baskets (my next deep clean, I will raise it higher bc of the service door,). Ziptie ceiling grates to baskets. Cut hole in table for drain pipe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210701-212337_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210701-212337_Chrome.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 20210701_212850.jpg
    20210701_212850.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 20210701_212842.jpg
    20210701_212842.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 20210701_212729.jpg
    20210701_212729.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 188
Never have standing water. Lifted up the enclosure with dollar store wire baskets (my next deep clean, I will raise it higher bc of the service door,). Ziptie ceiling grates to baskets. Cut hole in table for drain pipe.
That is a really awesome set up. Thank you so much for the pictures, that helps immensely!!

I'm so late ! But I actually used the drain pan and love it . I filled it with bricks and pebbles to help raise and shift water . There's no smell nor is there a mess. It just does what it needs to do and a simple idea . Good luck 🍀 View attachment 304692View attachment 304693

This is amazing. Never in a million years would I have thought of using rocks like this! Your drain pain is very similar to mine in terms of where the fitting was placed. You don’t have issues with water standing water sitting just below the drain pipe?

Back
Top Bottom