Drainage system

Jax1124

Hey everyone we got our veiled chameleon about a week and a half ago and she really seems to be doing well and thriving. However, I am a stay at home mom and I do the misting myself as I have to do it a bit more frequently since we live in Arizona. It’s so dry here so I usually mist about five times a day to keep her humidity around 80. So my question is things are getting a bit wet lol. Does anyone know of a good drainage pan or something along those lines that we can buy online or even create ourselves? I don’t want her to be sitting in stagnant water so I’ve been just putting paper towels down and switching them out often but I don’t want to do that too much and stress her out so any input or recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

So I had the same problem and I came on here to find answers or anything to help and I found the solution. They told me to use a humidifier and I recommend the same. It's the best $50 I ever spent. Hahaha

Lol I actually have been using my humidifier but it’s a warm mist human one is there one more suitable for chameleons? I’ve seen them in my reptile shop but was wondering what makes it different than mine? Is there a way to get the warm mist directly into her enclosure?

So I had the same problem and I came on here to find answers or anything to help and I found the solution. They told me to use a humidifier and I recommend the same. It's the best $50 I ever spent. Hahaha

I’m so new to this lol but I replied to you under this

Hahaha it's okay, but yea I bought a cheaper humidifier till I was ready to buy a better one and let me tell you it was worth it. Like right now my chameleon room is at 62% humidity and I have it on the lowest setting.

and that with the dripped gives enough water so she has an adequate amount to drink and stay hydrated? Can you tell me the name of the one you got? Thank you so much!!

and that with the dripped gives enough water so she has an adequate amount to drink and stay hydrated? Can you tell me the name of the one you got? Thank you so much!!

Also do you still do a morning and night spray down on top of the humidifier and dripper??

Using a dripper and spray bottle, if you’re like me, you still will generate a lot of water on the bottom of the enclosure. I couldn’t find it, but there was a solution I found here after I got my Cham. I simply drilled a 1/2” hole through the bottom pan that drains directly into a bucket underneath. I put some mesh in the hole to keep the feeders in, then put a sterilized rock very near the hole to create ponding at the hole.

I have a stand for the enclosure that makes it really efficient. However, I don’t have one for my hospital enclosure so I had to set the cage over a Rubbermaid storage bin.

Works pretty well, most residual water evaporates. Just make sure you get ALL the drill shavings out.

Hi there while a cool mist humidifier can be a great option in a room with a Cham cage just make sure you are not attaching this to blow into your cage during the day. The heat from the lamp and the lights with the fogger running non stop in a cage can create the perfect situation for the cham to get a respiratory infection.

As far as a drainage solution. You can either get a dragon strand drainage tray or get a hot water heater pan. Here are some links. Get the size that is appropriate for your enclosure.
https://dragonstrand.com/accessories/
https://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-...SV2D0V11G1B&psc=1&refRID=48GR67TZ8SV2D0V11G1B

Hi there while a cool mist humidifier can be a great option in a room with a Cham cage just make sure you are not attaching this to blow into your cage during the day. The heat from the lamp and the lights with the fogger running non stop in a cage can create the perfect situation for the cham to get a respiratory infection.

As far as a drainage solution. You can either get a dragon strand drainage tray or get a hot water heater pan. Here are some links. Get the size that is appropriate for your enclosure.
https://dragonstrand.com/accessories/
https://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-...SV2D0V11G1B&psc=1&refRID=48GR67TZ8SV2D0V11G1B
Where was that when I needed it....lol

LOL I am sorry I try to post it whenever I see drainage issues but what you did was very clever and I have seen a lot of keepers that have a stand that will work do what you did. :)
Don’t be sorry, those are AWESOME. I’m getting one for the hospital cage. Thanks for the link! This is why forums are SO great!

Welcome to being a worried chameleon owner, welcome to the forums. As for your questions there are several approaches to your issues. Even though your a stay at home mom, I HIGHLY recommend budgeting for a mistaking system. It will make your Cham keeping less of a chore and it’s super easy to set up. I do not recommend misting so often, veiled chameleons do not require such high humidity st all times, set up your cage to have areas where humidity can stick around, like a branch setup under a pothos plant, there is several drainage trays you can purchase depending on your budget including the rolls Royce of caging equipment over a Dragon strand cages. Speaking of I highly recommend you tune into the chameleon breeder podcast, Bill strand is the goat, his podcast covers a ton of info, I promise you won’t regret, asa matter of fact you will learn more in his episodes from all his EXPIRIENCED guests.. I use a cool mist humidifier, please keep it clean, keep it on a simple timer to allow the cage to dry out. Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom