Drainage ideas...

Jerambis

Please post your drainage systems. I am having trouble figuring out a simple yet effecient and sanitary drainage system for my cages.

]

here's what i'm planning on building

sorry, i only know the proper names for those marbles and that felt that lets water through in french

Last edited:
If you are not using any substrate, try tilting the cage forward by raising the rear an inch and have it drain into a piece of rain gutter along the front. The gutter then can drain into a bucket.

The only problem with this idea is you have to ensure that the water will only run straight down to the front of the cage, and never go off the sides. I thinks it's pretty unlikely.

I have a screen cage with a pvc bottom as well. You still come back to the fact of needing some kind of full tray to go underneath and catch water from all sides of the pvc.

I use a dreaded aquarium for the bottom half of the enclosure and for the top half I use one of those cage toppers. This of course is only temporary until he gets a little older. I am currently building his new cage.

Anyway, currently for drainage I have drilled a hole in the bottom front right side of the aquarium and have it propped up on the one end and back so any water drains into a bucket built into the stand. I also use a collection tupperware inside for underneath the dripper.

The only problem with this idea is you have to ensure that the water will only run straight down to the front of the cage, and never go off the sides. I thinks it's pretty unlikely.

I have a screen cage with a pvc bottom as well. You still come back to the fact of needing some kind of full tray to go underneath and catch water from all sides of the pvc.

how bout a low rim of something say like caulk. you could put it on the three sides.

]

here's what i'm planning on building

sorry, i only know the proper names for those marbles and that felt that lets water through in french

I was curious as to what the drainage cloth is made out of? It appears this is a set up for substrate with direct planting. So the "cloth" would have be supported due to weight. Then there would be deterioration after a while. So I'm thinking a pvc with tiny holes all over it with a mesh cloth on top to keep the soil in?

the cloth is some sort of rugged felt-ish material, almost rubbery, i have no idea what it's called i always thought it was just 'horticultural felt', I think it would be supported by the 'hydroton' (marbles) pretty well, but the pvc isn't a bad idea for reinforcement. I don't know much about it deteriorating, I think it's made of synthetic fibers but I'll keep that in mind when building

edit: the stuff is called geotextile cloth/fabric

Last edited:
To separate those layes you can use window screen, or Sun blocker garden fabric. The soil will probably clog up something so thick as the garden felt (similar to underpnd liner..

I used to have a really great setup in my previous parsonii cage where the entire bottom of the cage was mesh, just large enough for droppings to pass through. Under that I had a large, flat and wide plastic tub that was tilted and drained into a bucket. I cleaned the tub daily with a good rinse, and removed the tub each week to clean outside with soapy bleach solution. Stray crickets that fell down into the tub were also washed away. This sounds like a lot of upkeep but it was quite simple and actually made things very easy. I was able to provide water from anywhere above the cage, simulate rainfall with multiple drip systems, etc… I used that system for over 3 years and never was inconvenience by it. Sorry, this was in the late 90’s, before I had a digital camera. :)

Here is a more recent drainage system:

AA-2-parsonii-cage-finished-plants2-05-31-2007_jpg.jpg

CC-parsonii-cage-drain-05-13-2007_jpg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom