Drainage Idea help!

JessG

I’ve been trying to figure something out for my two cages for drainage. They are both 5ft high and 2ft in depth and witdth. All screen and made with 2x4s cut in half. I just have no idea what to do wiTh the excess water from misting and the Dripper. I do have a couple plants in each, that some water goes into.

I’ve been trying to figure something out for my two cages for drainage. They are both 5ft high and 2ft in depth and witdth. All screen and made with 2x4s cut in half. I just have no idea what to do wiTh the excess water from misting and the Dripper. I do have a couple plants in each, that some water goes into.
What is the bottom made out of?

I keep my potted plant in a container with a plastic hose leading from the bottom corner, out of the cage, and to a drain bucket. my dripper lands in the soils, so most of the mistings, left over I wipe with paper towels every couple days. when he gets bigger I'm planning on building my own cage with a soil bottom and having drainage going directly down from there. kind of hard to get a good angle at it but here it goes.

Attachments

• 15256531821993848503985253436894.jpg
    15256531821993848503985253436894.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 1525653218442650919088843435908.jpg
    1525653218442650919088843435908.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 116
Well, it looks like your bottom is a plastic board. I would say keep the potted plant and what you're doing there. For the water that drips from misting, try drilling a hole in the middle of the plastic bottom. Then elevate your cage by putting something like a 1inch tall block on each of the four corners of your cage. Then under the cage you can place something like a baking sheet to catch the water from the hole in the bottom. Then every couple of days just remove whatever you put under the cage and pour out the water and put it back in.

From what you are describing your cage is very similar to mine in construction, what I did was basically make the bottom 4 inches of the cage into a catch basin and then sloped the bottom by a few degrees to one corner and made a screened drain. I have a build thread on here for my cage.

I keep my potted plant in a container with a plastic hose leading from the bottom corner, out of the cage, and to a drain bucket. my dripper lands in the soils, so most of the mistings, left over I wipe with paper towels every couple days. when he gets bigger I'm planning on building my own cage with a soil bottom and having drainage going directly down from there. kind of hard to get a good angle at it but here it goes.
I somewhat see what you are trying to do thanks. I’ll have to show hubby and hopefully he can get an idea on what to do!

From what you are describing your cage is very similar to mine in construction, what I did was basically make the bottom 4 inches of the cage into a catch basin and then sloped the bottom by a few degrees to one corner and made a screened drain. I have a build thread on here for my cage.
went and searched for your thread, nice design on the cage. excited to build mine once he grows a lil bit... how much did yours end up costing?

went and searched for your thread, nice design on the cage. excited to build mine once he grows a lil bit... how much did yours end up costing?
Honestly I think it was under $100 as all I really needed to buy was the wood and screen. The other parts were from my Dad who works as a cabinet installer. Had I had to buy everything it probably would have been around $150-$200. I used standard aluminum window screen, pvc panel for the basin sides, corrugated plastic for the bottom, chameleon safe silicon, chameleon safe wood sealer, particle board, pine 2'×4's, and an old dishwasher drain tube for the drain. I had to do some additional modification once I install a MistKing, but the cage is very sturdy.

Last edited:
There are all sorts of ideas for drainage directly above your post on this forum. Take a look!

Back
Top Bottom