Dragonstrand setup

I let the LED run its 24/7 mode continuously. The basking light, as well as a few other things are run through a HerpKeeper system. The only thing I need to do daily is feed/clean.

So I wanted to share my "fix" with you guys to hopefully help out fellow hobbyists.

I went to Home Depot, and bought a 1" thick, 17" long, and 11" wide piece of particle board and rest it on top of the drainage tray, and beneath the drainage screen.

The result, zero weight or strain on the screen and many heavy potted plants beneath in addition to the static egg laying bin for Moe and her safety foliage returned.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 192
About the Blue LED lights.....

The idea is to have them on for about a half hour or hour or so after the main lights are out.

Why?
Because it creates a nice twilight / dusk effect whereby the animals can have the transition into full darkness... like they would get in the wild.

So they can switch into their nice "pajama" night time pattern and make their way into a plant thicket to sleep if they so choose.

Can you leave the blue LEDS on all night?

Well -
yes -
it will not kill your animal if they stay on all night...
but they can see the blue light,
so...
YES.... in theory it may disrupt them.
So program them to go OFF after an hour or so so the animals can experience total darkness to sleep properly.

Always remember,
common sense dictates that we follow the patterns that Nature has set for us.
And only use the blue leds for about an hour or so after lights out to simulate twilight.

Is it OK NOT to use them or have any twilight or "dusk" or sunset lighting?

Yes,
the lights can snap off all at once --
and the animals will be in the dark.
And it probably will not kill them or cause them to seize up into spasms writhing at the cage bottom....
But AGAIN,
**it is always nice to try and duplicate the natural environment as much as possible in captivity**,
So I always think it is a good idea to give the animals just an hour or so of a "sunset" to transition them into "night".

BTW...
This can also be accomplished by having a light on a timer in the room the cage is in that stays on for a while after cage lights go all out to give them this natural transition from day to night.

Hope this helps.
Thanks + Cheers.
Todd.

Back
Top Bottom