Dragon Strand Cages?? Need Input

hpc1979

Established Member
What's up every one! I'm going to working on some major upgrades this summer to my reptile collection. The biggest upgrades I'm going to be doing is upgrading all my chame K eon cages. I plan on buying all new cages, running sone plumbing, and installing a Mist King System. I'm not the ghetto rigging type of guy, so when I do this, it will be done right and professionally.

So here's my question:

What do you guys think about using Dragon Strand Breeder Cages used in place of all around regular screen cages? I like the concept of a water barrier being used to help combat water drainage. I also like that the packaged plastic hanging vines with the suction cups can stick to the wall. I'm not a huge fan of real plant life. Although I know the benefits of it, I hate the fact the biggest upkeep inside the cage come from the plants and not the animals themselves. I also like that you have places to attach vines to which helps keeps the cage simple.

I have had some real intricate cages before, and it's always the high humidity habitats that always have me looking for new and improved ways to do things. So what do you guys think?

I hate the fact the biggest upkeep inside the cage come from the plants and not the animals themselves.

The only thing I do with my live plants is prune them twice a year, and separate and propagate them once a year because otherwise they will take over the whole enclosure. Live plants are pretty much a necessity for the montane chameleons that I breed.

My enclosures are very similar to the Dragon Strand cages, only with tubbed bottoms for planting and drainage. https://www.chameleonforums.com/cage-rack-131185/

I keep montane chams, just like Mike. I have and love my Dragonstrand cages. I think they are the best on the market.

Laurie,

Do you free range your feeders? I'm having a problem with smaller crickets getting out of my enclosures. Just wondering if the Dragonstrand cages are a bit better in this regard.

Don't have any myself but they look like top notch cages. If I was in the market for caging they would be at the top of list.

What is the difference between the Dragon Strand cages vs the cages LLLreptile sells?

Easy answer Dragonstrand - steak LLL reptile cheap hamburger

Laurie,

Do you free range your feeders? I'm having a problem with smaller crickets getting out of my enclosures. Just wondering if the Dragonstrand cages are a bit better in this regard.

Yes the cages are tighter and much better at keeping food it. I free range crickets, stick bugs, fly's that sort of stuff, nothing gets out. Never will a dubia be free ranged. David agrees they could not get out of the dragonstrand cage but he just "Feels" better that they get fed rather than left in the cages.:rolleyes:

Mike Dragonstrand are better for montanes in my opinion. They hold the humidity better and if YOU really need one, you can sit a tree in there. Bill Strand, keeps quads just like I do, and he designed these cages to be perfect for montanes. You should give them a try.

I will never raise another baby in a group cage. Each of my babies will go from the egg to a dragonstrand nursery cage. They eat and grow better. You never have to wonder if they are eating and pooping, with one baby per cage all the answers are right in front of you.

Mike Dragonstrand are better for montanes in my opinion. They hold the humidity better and if YOU really need one, you can sit a tree in there. Bill Strand, keeps quads just like I do, and he designed these cages to be perfect for montanes. You should give them a try.

I just have to redesign my doors. They have always been secured by magnetic latches, and they don't have door jambs. Never had a problem until recently when I had to switch to smaller feeders.

I still have about $5000 worth of caging extrusion, plastic corners, and screen mesh so redesigning the door framing won't be a problem.

Good to hear that dragonstrand has that covered. And yes, I'm still jealous of your quads. :)

I've personally seen and held some of the dragon strand cages and they are well built. Currently I don't own any but in the future I'm going to pick some up

I haven't been doing this as long as a lot of these other guys, but I did get one of the Dragon Strand breeder series medium tall cages. They are very well built and his customer service I don't think is to be beat. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from him. His customer service sold me to begin with, and the product quality in addition to that will mean I'll go back.

Yes the cages are tighter and much better at keeping food it. I free range crickets, stick bugs, fly's that sort of stuff, nothing gets out. Never will a dubia be free ranged. David agrees they could not get out of the dragonstrand cage but he just "Feels" better that they get fed rather than left in the cages.:rolleyes:

I will never raise another baby in a group cage. Each of my babies will go from the egg to a dragonstrand nursery cage. They eat and grow better. You never have to wonder if they are eating and pooping, with one baby per cage all the answers are right in front of you.

Ok my next question how do the feeders get around in a Dragon Strand Cage? Are they able to climb the walls or are they limited to climbing the front screen?

So, those of you who have Dragon Strand cages, would you mind showing me some pics of your enclosures. I defiantly have my eye on some of the competitor's cages as well, but I'm extremely interested in seeing the looks of the Breeder Series Cages (Although I don't necessarily want them for breeding purposes).

I have a Dragonstrand breeder for my middle cage and I really like not having to worry about a divider. I am away from my computer so I can't do a picture but I did post one a while back. I use fake and real plants and set up is so easy. I got a kitchen cart from overstock which I put together without drawer and top ..The large breeder fit perfectly and I have the aquazamp underneath.

Ok my next question how do the feeders get around in a Dragon Strand Cage? Are they able to climb the walls or are they limited to climbing the front screen?

best to use a feeder cup their are many ways to make them and use a mesh of some sort for insects to climb on chameleons just pick them off.
Here is my enclosure not a dragon strand but built be me.My framing is powder coated black and I use swing latchs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 489
They sure look fancy to me! I don't need any however I feel I NEED some. Well done!

I like the fact that they do look "Fancy", lol. I'm a neat, organized, and proffesional guy. I guess I'm a little OSD when it come down to how things look. I like nice thing. I like a neat appearance. And what I like the most, is people coming into my house and not being turned off by ghetto rigged set ups.

best to use a feeder cup their are many ways to make them and use a mesh of some sort for insects to climb on chameleons just pick them off.
Here is my enclosure not a dragon strand but built be me.My framing is powder coated black and I use swing latchs

That's a really nice cage. I think I'm just gonna spend the money and just buy one. If I had the time, I would make one.

Steve do you have any pics with your cage all set up?

Back
Top Bottom