Doughnut Gravid eggbound?

great thread to read up on, lola took 4weeks from roaming and bein active to then laying successfully in her substrate only 12 pure white eggs looked like jelly beans! ! Thank u for ur help.

i do now have another problem I think, I'm due to go away in 3 weeks time she is going to board at the place I bought her from, shes boarded there before an they look after her well!!

That's a lot of eggs. You may want to try to reduce the clutch size by controlling her diet and basking temperature.

I don't know what else to do her basking temp is 85-86 she eats every other 3 Dubias and 3 super worms with 2-3 horn worms a week all dusted with calcium once a month calcium with d3 and once a month multivitamin with d3 when she became gravid/receptive she wouldn't really eat at all after she layed she ate horn worms wax worms silk worms and some dubia everyday til her weight was back up she was really weak and dehydrated after dropping her eggs

So 6-10-2016 Doughnut has done it again this time though she increased her clutch size to almost sixty eggs which confuses me since I have taken Kinyongas advice and lowered temps and reduced the feeders by 1 each I always think she is too skinny but her poop looks good and her urates are white yet she somehow managed to have a larger clutch than the last pics on next post.

20160612_141116.jpg
20160612_142542.jpg

I read your thread and I am having similar issues with our girl. Since it sounds like you've go through now a couple times can you tell me how long it took from once yours started the roaming behavior and color changing to when she actually laid? Ours has been all over her cage for about 1.5 weeks and is acting fine but won't really go in her bin and has only tried to dig in it once. She keeps trying to dig in the corner of her cage but really won't go in her bin. From reading your story it sounds like it's possible she just isn't ready, but of course I'm getting terribly nervous! This is our first clutch and I just can't get a good idea of the normal time it might take. She's acting fine but I'm a nervous wreck!

Her 1st time took her about 8 weeks from the time she became receptive til she laid. The second time she laid it was about six weeks maybe more I wasn't in as much of a panic. The first few weeks she was really trying to get out of her cage I think to get a man that may be what your girl is doing now digging in the corner. The 1st time was the worst I kept worrying she was egg bound and could die. The second time I expected it to take a while and she actually laid a few weeks earlier then I thought it was much easier. Sounds like you have everything ready and you may have 4-6 weeks to go til she lays not much you can do but wait and give her privacy also Doughnut lost interest in eating the closer she got to laying so I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens to you from what others have told me here this happens sometimes. Best of luck to you try not to go crazy worrying.

Her 1st time took her about 8 weeks from the time she became receptive til she laid. The second time she laid it was about six weeks maybe more I wasn't in as much of a panic. The first few weeks she was really trying to get out of her cage I think to get a man that may be what your girl is doing now digging in the corner. The 1st time was the worst I kept worrying she was egg bound and could die. The second time I expected it to take a while and she actually laid a few weeks earlier then I thought it was much easier. Sounds like you have everything ready and you may have 4-6 weeks to go til she lays not much you can do but wait and give her privacy also Doughnut lost interest in eating the closer she got to laying so I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens to you from what others have told me here this happens sometimes. Best of luck to you try not to go crazy worrying.
Thank you, this is very helpful! I noticed the color change just before this digging thing started so I had wondered if this meant recptive or gravid. She had also been very interesting in escaping her cage every chance she gets so it could very well be what you describe! Thank you for your help I have been so worried about her dying from this as you were as well, so you have really helped put my mind at ease. Thank you!

So 10/05/2016 Doughnut laid 48 eggs her temps have been lowered along with the amount of food she is given (3 dubia every other day with one or 2 horn or Super worms thrown in during the week) usual sups Calcium without d3 every feeding and once a month reptivite with d3 and once a month calcium with d3, temps 70-76 basking 82. Lowering temps and the amount of food given I guess has reduced the number of eggs to 48 but this I was told was still too many by an respected forum member, although on the forums own care sheet states an avg 20-70 clutch so 48 seems about middle of the road to me.

In my opinion 48 eggs is a pretty average number and is safe. It's when they get closer to the 55 to 60 range that I begin to worry.

Back
Top Bottom