Don't wake the Chameleon!

Julirs

Tonight my husband put our big male Veiled into his outdoor cage on the porch. It started getting dark and he went to sleep. Mu husband woke him to put him back inside and he freaked out, went running, and puffed up and got mad when my husband tried to pick him up. I know how soundly they sleep, but they obviously wake up grumpy. He is usually a completely non-agressive guy. He ran around inside his cage for awhile, and even took a small fall, but eventually settled down. Anyone else experience this? :confused:

they don't like to be disturbed I'm not absolutely sure but I have a pretty good idea they don't see well at night, which certainly could be why, you have to be careful because they hold on for dear life at night and you don't want to accidentally declaw them, its super sad

Last edited:
He was in his element then you abruptly removed him and he didn't like it. Why bring him in he could of stayed out. Leaving him out will bring out the beast but thats natural.

I have done that same thing! But I accidentally left my jacksons in his outside enclosure until about 10pm. Went to pull him out..and he freaked! Was practically trying to run off my hand and take a 6ft plunge. For a few days after that he was a little weirded out, didnt really move around too much.

yes leaving them out will bring the beast , i leave my out in intense storms, but when Its absolutely pouring and he has been out there awhile I bring mine in as well, they don't need 8 hours of rain and you get that a lot here starting now in florida

There would be no leaving him out in a flimsy cage-there are cats, coons, owls, and the intense Flordia heat and thunderstorms that we are having him now. This guy is our "baby" and it would be devastating if something happened to him!

Maybe he was in the middle of a wonderful chameleon dream, and you woke him up right in the midst of a good part.

Chameleon dreams.... reality is too much a jolt. Word's gotten out that bad men come pluck them in their sleep and away to far lands. lol

i bumped into my cage last night and all i could hear was hissing. I turned on the light to see and he was puffed all up and really mad that i woke him up

Lucky my Male has never woken up during sleep, he's pissed off as it is I'd hate to see him woken up :D

My baby Panther woke up randomly once when I looked in his Viv. Just kind of looked at me back, and went to sleep again :D

Ash

Yeah I never go NEAR mine when he's asleep, except to quietly look at him (sleeping chameleons are adorable.) The one and ONLY time mine has ever bit me was because I accidentally woke him up. I think that none of them are "morning people"!

I tried to pick up mine while it is sleeping..................the chameleon freak out and jump! thank god it is heavily planted...so it isn't hurt.:D

i woke mine up tonight, he kinda just looked at me and went back to sleep. but he also just went to sleep anyways, so he probley wasnt in the middle of any good dreams just yet

Hi All I've done this once before when I went to touch one of our breeder chams. He woke up and freaked out dropped to the bottom of the cage and ran like a bat out of hell. Pretty Funny

Wow... I really enjoyed each and every story here. I like taking pictures of Fractal while he sleeps and I wonder if lightening storms wake them. (I'm using the flash when I do this) I see his patterns slowly start to come onto the light green and I back off. I just don't want to be rude to him. I think he might have moved more to the back of the cage once when I did that.
Hey ... do yours chams sleep right at the front of the cage? And at mid level?

I came home to find my girl sleeping on the ground. i was nervous since i had never seen this behavior before so i woke her and she flipped. Ran all around the cage hissing and everything the most aggressive ive ever seen either of me chams. She usually is sweet as can be too... I hope she forgives me by morning. Im glad this post was on here so i know this is normal. Now i wonder about the sleeping on the ground???

I came home to find my girl sleeping on the ground. i was nervous since i had never seen this behavior before so i woke her and she flipped. Ran all around the cage hissing and everything the most aggressive ive ever seen either of me chams. She usually is sweet as can be too... I hope she forgives me by morning. Im glad this post was on here so i know this is normal. Now i wonder about the sleeping on the ground???

LOL-My thread from 2007 resurrected! They sometimes will sleep where they end up-especially in a case where they were asleep, or if you turn the lights out earlier than their normal time. I would not worry unless she keeps doing it.

Back
Top Bottom