Dome lamp too hot?

dainironfoot

Hello! I am in the process of setting up a chameleon cage after a few years out of the hobby. I have everything set up as I believe it should be but the dome clamp light for basking on top gets very hot on the metal dome and ceramic end. Is this normal? When I had reptiles a few years back I remember it being hot but maybe not this hot. Could this melt the cord? I am using the light I used from maybe six or seven years ago so maybe Its just going bad and I need to get a newer one? I am using a Flukers light with a 75 watt bulb. Thanx guys, I appreciate any input you may have.

They create heat so yes it is normal to be hot. Check fixture rating as far as what is the max wattage bulb appropriate for the fixture. When you set up your enclosure check the basking area temp. Adjust hight/distance from the light accordingly. Setting up an enclosure is always fun. It's best to have it set up and sorted out before you get you chameleon.

Hello! I am in the process of setting up a chameleon cage after a few years out of the hobby. I have everything set up as I believe it should be but the dome clamp light for basking on top gets very hot on the metal dome and ceramic end. Is this normal? When I had reptiles a few years back I remember it being hot but maybe not this hot. Could this melt the cord? I am using the light I used from maybe six or seven years ago so maybe Its just going bad and I need to get a newer one? I am using a Flukers light with a 75 watt bulb. Thanx guys, I appreciate any input you may have.

You can also buy a Lutron lamp dimmer at lowes that makes it very easy to adjust temp without having to move the fixture. They cost about $15.00 and work fantastic,I have them on most of my enclosures.

Back
Top Bottom