Dogs like hornworms too!

ridgebax1

Avid Member
So I carefully cared for about 30 hornworms, let them pupate and hatch into wonderful moths, who had crazy moth sex and laid hundreds of eggs. I collected them, watched them and they successfully hatched. I had a couple dozen babies eating and growing on some chow. Well my dog decided that the hornworm chow AND the hornworms on the chow were a tasty snack and he ate every last one!!!!:eek:

Ugh! I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. At least one of your pets got to enjoy a tasty treat. ;)

I was growing silkworms, was letting some grow into moths, and hatching them out. It was going GREAT, I was so happy. I even had enough extra to feed some to the fledgling robins. I didn't use a screened lid, and boy was I sorry!

The carpenter ants found a way in through the sliding door and killed and made off with most of them within a day or so. I never even saw them until it was too late. How they were able to sneak in and make off with them undetected, I'll never know. I was just sick over it. I then found out that some ant baits actually use silkworms in it! I now use screened tops, not to keep the worms in, but the ants out!

I did tell him it would be funny if I wasn't so peeved about it!!!! Oh well, live and learn. My son had no sympathy, told me I should not have had them where they would be accessible!

Ohh ants are deadly.... Ants we have here are Argentine ants which are really aggressive and have multiple queens which nest almost anywhere. They will build nests in my potted plants, kill all my feeders,once killed half my roach colony, and once I received a pair of darts I had for for 4 days until I can home and found out the ants sucked them dry and of course died..

Back
Top Bottom