dogs and Ivan

melgrj7

I have 2 large dogs and a cat. Ivan (flapneck) is in my bedroom, the dogs are not in there during the day but sleep in there at night. Ivan's first two nights home I kept then out of I the room but last night I let them in. They went over to sniff the cage and Ivan immediately flattened out. Will he get used to them being around? After a minute of sniffing they lost interest in him and went and laid down. I made sure not to open his cage while they were up there. I have a cat as well, who is almost always in the room, he couldn't care less about her, even when she was checking out his cage he didn't stress about it. He will eat even with her watching.

Mine cares about the dogs as much as the kids, it got used to both and both lost interest in the cage pretty quick and just left the cham alone.

The cat is a diff story. While you can use your own judgement, there is plenty of threads here of the house cat prying its way into the cham tank to play with the cham while the owner was out. either knocking it over or popping the top.

Mine cares about the dogs as much as the kids, it got used to both and both lost interest in the cage pretty quick and just left the cham alone.

The cat is a diff story. While you can use your own judgement, there is plenty of threads here of the house cat prying its way into the cham tank to play with the cham while the owner was out. either knocking it over or popping the top.

I would honestly be more worried about a dog thinking my Cham is a play toy and trying to get the cage down but since he said they are usually only there at night, I wouldn't be worried. Personally, I know my dogs are much different behavior wise at night then during the day. A cat on the other hand does pose threat. On average a cat that is allowed outside as well as inside will hunt primarily out of enjoyment assuming they are being fed by their owners. So, there is a much higher chance that the cat will find interest in the Cham, even if not immediately.

I have a dog and two cats. My chams are more worried about the cats than the dog, despite the fact that she' much larger than the cats. Don't know if they can sense the extra danger of an animal able to climb the wire, etc???

Anyhow, I have taken a lot of care to ensure the cats are not able to open the doors if they tried. The cages are made of out pretty heavy duty materials (home jobs) so I'm not worried about them getting in any other way. To be honest, my cats rarely even notice the chams.

You need to decide about your specific pets. Your cham should get used to them as long as your pets ignore him after the initial curiosity. But keep in mind, that from your chams eyes, dogs and cats are big enough to eat them, so they are a very scary thing to see looking into their enclosure.

The cat is 12 years old and has lived with reptiles her whole life, I am not worried about her bugging Ivan. I am also not worried about the dogs bugging him, they don't even know he is in there lol. They are also only in my room at night while I am there. I am more just worried about their presence stressing him out, but it sounds like most of them get used to the sight of the dogs, so I will see how he does for a few more nights. If he is still freaking out when they come in I will reconsider their sleeping arrangements.

Back
Top Bottom