Dog walking

Ever tried a Gentle Leader? When my service dog was in training, he pulled like a monster—even a prong collar wouldn't slow him down.

I know they look thin & flimsy, but dang, they work, and we've never needed to replace it. But then now he's trained. :)

No collar will work for every dog under every circumstance, but these are the closest I've seen.

Ever tried a Gentle Leader? When my service dog was in training, he pulled like a monster—even a prong collar wouldn't slow him down.

I know they look thin & flimsy, but dang, they work, and we've never needed to replace it. But then now he's trained. :)

No collar will work for every dog under every circumstance, but these are the closest I've seen.
I never heard of these before. I might have to try them. She wasnt pulling so hard when she had her extendable leash...until she did! Lol.
Id like her to not pull. I would like if my daughter could walk her. She is "stuck" walking the corgi mix. Lol
0714201807.jpg

They sure move a lot. Lol

I never heard of these before. I might have to try them. She wasnt pulling so hard when she had her extendable leash...until she did! Lol.
Id like her to not pull. I would like if my daughter could walk her. She is "stuck" walking the corgi mix. Lol
I would recommend the Gentle Leader. Prong collars (a.k.a. pinch collars) have become somewhat controversial, and like I said, they didn't work on either of my Labs.

Gentle leaders are great!

2 great danes.. we use those for them. Both are very well trained, but when you have 2 dogs that are 140+ pounds you need to make sure you can handle them properly lol. Gentle leaders make them so easy to control when its needed and I would really look into one, no matter the size of your dog. I can walk both boys at once by myself no problem. Will never go back to any other collar with them.

They do look like muzzles but they don't act like one at all. If you have it adjusted properly dogs should be able to pant, eat, drink, etc pretty easily.

I'm happy that you were all okay. It is very scary when things like that happen. I love it when I hear from responsible dog owners, like you, it let's me know they are still out there! Dogs are part of our family too, but I definitely agree with the statement that they are still animals. Our dogs have been attacked by multiple dogs off leash more times than I can count. We have huge dogs that I am easily able to control, but I have had 5 incidents over the past 12 years that stick out.

When we lived in Raleigh a dog broke through a screened porch to go after our female Great Dane. My husband and I weren't ready for it since it came from behind and didn't bark, but our male Mastiff was. My husband let the lead go and our Mastiff was able to get the dog to return home, by that time the owner was out and very unapologetic.

My second, terrible experience was when we moved back to Michigan. I was eight months pregnant and walking the dogs on my own. There was this guy who rode his bike and had his small dog follow off lead. The dog went after my Mastiff and Dane legs. In their attempts to get the dog away from their legs, they moved suddenly, unfortunately there was ice on the sidewalk. My very pregnant self fell. Did he stop, apologize or ask if I needed help? No, he laughed and took off the other way. I probably should have called the police but I was so upset, scared and shocked that I didn't.

The third incident happened with our first Mastiff and Dane. We were walking as a family with two toddlers and I was nine months pregnant with our third. Our neighbors opened the door for company and their small dog came flying out of their house. The dog went after our dogs legs, as our Dane moved she stepped on my feet pretty badly. They were black in blue the next day (the day I went into labor). This particular dog is still around and he's very dominant and they continue to let him off lead to run home after a walk. I hold my breath hoping that we don't have another encounter with him.

The forth incident happened when my youngest and I were walking our Newfoundland as a puppy. A German Shepard darted after her, pinned her and grabbed her neck. The owner finally came and grabbed the dog but had an issue pulling it home because the dog had no collar or lead even though it was sitting in the front yard. I turned to head home and when I was 2 houses away from my home (she lives about 10 houses down from me) that dog came from no where because its owner lost her grip dragging it home and pinned our puppy down again. The owner did not give one apology, she really didn't seem to care. That time I called the police because I was upset about the dog and my baby in the stroller.

The last incident happened last summer, it was me and my three girls with our current dogs, our second Mastiff and a Newfoundland. A pit came from across the street and went after my dogs. I was pushing my youngest on a trike, so I let my Mastiff's lead go. He pushed the dog back home, he is very sweet, so as soon as the dog wasn't a threat, the owner of that dog was able to pick up his lead and he was calm. The scary part was my oldest ran after our Mastiff, so she went flying across the street without looking. The owner did apologize but she always has her dogs off lead when she has no voice control over them. It is also a law here to have your dog on a leash. I called this time as well.

I love all dogs. I have had them my whole life, but I believe strongly in being a responsible owner. Accidents will happen but when people are irresponsible it really ticks me off. I just don't understand how some people seem to not care.

The pictures are of our two current dogs. Our Newfoundland is so great on a lead that I just loop a leash around her. I could walk her easily off lead, but I don't. She's way too slow and unmotivated to attack another dog or person, lol!

Attachments

• 20200707_121557.jpg
    20200707_121557.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20191111_094624.jpg
    20191111_094624.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 102
I'm happy that you were all okay. It is very scary when things like that happen. I love it when I hear from responsible dog owners, like you, it let's me know they are still out there! Dogs are part of our family too, but I definitely agree with the statement that they are still animals. Our dogs have been attacked by multiple dogs off leash more times than I can count. We have huge dogs that I am easily able to control, but I have had 5 incidents over the past 12 years that stick out.

When we lived in Raleigh a dog broke through a screened porch to go after our female Great Dane. My husband and I weren't ready for it since it came from behind and didn't bark, but our male Mastiff was. My husband let the lead go and our Mastiff was able to get the dog to return home, by that time the owner was out and very unapologetic.

My second, terrible experience was when we moved back to Michigan. I was eight months pregnant and walking the dogs on my own. There was this guy who rode his bike and had his small dog follow off lead. The dog went after my Mastiff and Dane legs. In their attempts to get the dog away from their legs, they moved suddenly, unfortunately there was ice on the sidewalk. My very pregnant self fell. Did he stop, apologize or ask if I needed help? No, he laughed and took off the other way. I probably should have called the police but I was so upset, scared and shocked that I didn't.

The third incident happened with our first Mastiff and Dane. We were walking as a family with two toddlers and I was nine months pregnant with our third. Our neighbors opened the door for company and their small dog came flying out of their house. The dog went after our dogs legs, as our Dane moved she stepped on my feet pretty badly. They were black in blue the next day (the day I went into labor). This particular dog is still around and he's very dominant and they continue to let him off lead to run home after a walk. I hold my breath hoping that we don't have another encounter with him.

The forth incident happened when my youngest and I were walking our Newfoundland as a puppy. A German Shepard darted after her, pinned her and grabbed her neck. The owner finally came and grabbed the dog but had an issue pulling it home because the dog had no collar or lead even though it was sitting in the front yard. I turned to head home and when I was 2 houses away from my home (she lives about 10 houses down from me) that dog came from no where because its owner lost her grip dragging it home and pinned our puppy down again. The owner did not give one apology, she really didn't seem to care. That time I called the police because I was upset about the dog and my baby in the stroller.

The last incident happened last summer, it was me and my three girls with our current dogs, our second Mastiff and a Newfoundland. A pit came from across the street and went after my dogs. I was pushing my youngest on a trike, so I let my Mastiff's lead go. He pushed the dog back home, he is very sweet, so as soon as the dog wasn't a threat, the owner of that dog was able to pick up his lead and he was calm. The scary part was my oldest ran after our Mastiff, so she went flying across the street without looking. The owner did apologize but she always has her dogs off lead when she has no voice control over them. It is also a law here to have your dog on a leash. I called this time as well.

I love all dogs. I have had them my whole life, but I believe strongly in being a responsible owner. Accidents will happen but when people are irresponsible it really ticks me off. I just don't understand how some people seem to not care.

The pictures are of our two current dogs. Our Newfoundland is so great on a lead that I just loop a leash around her. I could walk her easily off lead, but I don't. She's way too slow and unmotivated to attack another dog or person, lol!

Your dogs are gorgeous!!

We used to have a mastiff. Had to give him away to an older family as he wasn't good with young kids sadly, but they really are great dogs.

Our current dogs. Danes are our favorite breed. We plan on getting another soon lol
IMG_2836.jpg.jpeg

Your dogs are gorgeous!!

We used to have a mastiff. Had to give him away to an older family as he wasn't good with young kids sadly, but they really are great dogs.

Our current dogs. Danes are our favorite breed. We plan on getting another soon lol
View attachment 272988

Your dogs are gorgeous! We had the exact opposite experience as you. Our Dane wasn't good with our children (in fairness she was a rescue). Our Mastiffs have always been fabulous with them.

Our first Mastiff had very sore legs during his last years. If one of my kids fell on him (they were all young), he never growled at them. My girls would hug him all the time and he would just lean into it. Our current Mastiff always walks over to my kids when they are on the couch and will lay his head on their laps for pets. Both of my guys have been super loveable towards my girls.

One of our danes had some issues.. he was a really sweet boy with people he knew but he wasn't always great with newcomers, and had some food aggression problems. He was scared of everything and near the end he was having a lot of problems. We had to put him down late last year at 5 years old, he really wasn't doing well and his vet said it was the kindest thing for him.

Here he is, his name was Magnum (though we called him Maggie). Very big boy
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0095.jpeg

Gandalf is a little over a year old, very sweet boy. He'll come over to you and just lay his head on you waiting some love. Hes a goofy boy
IMG_3787.JPG
IMG_4123.jpeg
1595714618146.jpeg

Gunner just turned 7 so hes getting up there is age for danes, hes also a very sweet boy, very tolerant of everything just like Gandalf.
1595714545991.jpeg

Attachments

• 1595714567062.jpeg
    1595714567062.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 95
One of our danes had some issues.. he was a really sweet boy with people he knew but he wasn't always great with newcomers, and had some food aggression problems. He was scared of everything and near the end he was having a lot of problems. We had to put him down late last year at 5 years old, he really wasn't doing well and his vet said it was the kindest thing for him.

Here he is, his name was Magnum (though we called him Maggie). Very big boy
View attachment 272989View attachment 272990

Gandalf (merle dane on the left) is a little over a year old, very sweet boy. He'll come over to you and just lay his head on you waiting some love. Hes a goofy boy
View attachment 273001View attachment 273000View attachment 273006
Gunner just turned 7 so hes getting up there is age for danes, hes also a very sweet boy, very tolerant of everything just like Gandalf.
View attachment 273003

They are all very handsome! I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie!

I dont know why, but for some reason I was not getting notifications this day.
Sorry i didnt see your replies!
Gentle leaders are great!

2 great danes.. we use those for them. Both are very well trained, but when you have 2 dogs that are 140+ pounds you need to make sure you can handle them properly lol. Gentle leaders make them so easy to control when its needed and I would really look into one, no matter the size of your dog. I can walk both boys at once by myself no problem. Will never go back to any other collar with them.

They do look like muzzles but they don't act like one at all. If you have it adjusted properly dogs should be able to pant, eat, drink, etc pretty easily.

You both have very beautiful dogs! And thank you, I try to be responsible for all my pets and kid too! Lol. It also ticks me off when people are not!
We were walking our dogs a couple nights ago, and everything went well at first! We met some people walking their dogs and talked with them and introduced our dogs (made a doggy date too for them to come over and have our dogs play in the yard) and let them play a moment. On our way home, walking down our street, these people were having a garage party. I didnt think anything of it until a lager pitbull came running at us. It was just myself, my daughter (12), and our dogs...the pit ran up to Sandy and she stood tall, but wagged her tail. And then the pit saw Ash and dove under Sandy, practically lifting her off the ground, to get to Ash! He had his whole mouth around her back/bottom area, but he never bit down. Idk if he was just playing and friendly, or if his owner had got there in time..
But this guy came running out and jumped on his dog, right in the street. I know he has cuts on his elbows and knees now, but he grabbed the dog and asked me over and over if we were ok. Told me he lives right there and to come back if I need a vet or doctor.
I was super thankful to him and told him we were fine, and I appreciated his efforts VERY much!!
I am not afraid of pit bulls, but I am afraid of any dog who runs up to my family, OR who puts their mouth around my entire dog. Lol. Ash didnt have any cuts or bites, but she had so much slobber all down her back. Lol.

But this guy came running out and jumped on his dog, right in the street. I know he has cuts on his elbows and knees now, but he grabbed the dog and asked me over and over if we were ok. Told me he lives right there and to come back if I need a vet or doctor.
I was super thankful to him and told him we were fine, and I appreciated his efforts VERY much!!
I am not afraid of pit bulls, but I am afraid of any dog who runs up to my family, OR who puts their mouth around my entire dog. Lol. Ash didnt have any cuts or bites, but she had so much slobber all down her back. Lol.

That is awesome that he took responsibility and action for his dog's behavior. I'm happy that your daughter, dogs and you were all unharmed.

I agree that any dog who runs up on my family or dogs is viewed as a threat. I think it is important that all dog owners are responsible for their pets.

Back
Top Bottom