Doesn't seem to know its bed time

chamnoodle

Hey everyone, I know some chameleons usually know when its about time to sleep and go to their "sleep spot" before the lights turn off and Patterson did that for a bit but now when his lights turn off (set on an automatic timer 9-9) he just starts to walk around. It's worrying me because I dont think chameleons have the greatest eyesight in the dark and he usually winds up sleeping on the screen. He is about 6 months old and he has a 24x24x48 cage. He use to have a 10:30-10:30 schedule but I have gradually been making it to 9-9 so I dont know if he is just a bit confused or something.

Hey everyone, I know some chameleons usually know when its about time to sleep and go to their "sleep spot" before the lights turn off and Patterson did that for a bit but now when his lights turn off (set on an automatic timer 9-9) he just starts to walk around. It's worrying me because I dont think chameleons have the greatest eyesight in the dark and he usually winds up sleeping on the screen. He is about 6 months old and he has a 24x24x48 cage. He use to have a 10:30-10:30 schedule but I have gradually been making it to 9-9 so I dont know if he is just a bit confused or something.
How gradually, and how long was he on the 10:30 schedule? :unsure:

OK, I think he should have adjusted by now. Not sure what's going on with the little fellow. Most (AFAIK) start to hit the proverbial sack up to an hour before lights out.

Is it possible he's hunting something—escapee feeders in the enclosure?
Any activity going on in the room he's in?
Is there a mister synced with lights out?
Sleepwalking? :rolleyes: :LOL:

OK, I think he should have adjusted by now. Not sure what's going on with the little fellow. Most (AFAIK) start to hit the proverbial sack up to an hour before lights out.

Is it possible he's hunting something—escapee feeders in the enclosure?
Any activity going on in the room he's in?
Is there a mister synced with lights out?
Sleepwalking? :rolleyes: :LOL:
He has a bowl I put his feeders in and he is most definitely not a shy/picky eater so I see him eat them as soon as he can 😂 So I don't think he could be hunting, he is in my room in which I will go in about 30 minutes before the lights turn off to mist his cage (I haven't purchased an automatic mister yet) and sometimes I MIGHT stay in there but not too often. Tonight I was in there for a bit though because I was packing for just one overnight trip, and he is currently on the screen now asleep :rolleyes: Maybe its the fogger/humidifier I have for him, which is a tube I put in his cage at night and I saw him eyeing it a lot right before the lights went off, maybe he doesn't like that too much..

That sounds like a distinct possibility, especially if the timing coincides with the behavior.
It sounds like he is getting sleep though, so if it were me, I'd give him a little more time to adjust to the fogger.

Could be he's just looking for a new sleeping spot too.

That sounds like a distinct possibility, especially if the timing coincides with the behavior.
It sounds like he is getting sleep though, so if it were me, I'd give him a little more time to adjust to the fogger.

Could be he's just looking for a new sleeping spot too.
Ok, thank you

I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you. How long are your day/night cycles? I've had problems in the past where I forgot to readjust my lights after daylight savings or the other one which can mess up their cycle. And their eyesight doesn't seem to be too bad in the dark. One night, my dude was still up in his basking spot when all the lights in the room went off, and the next morning I found him in his usual sleeping spot a couple feet down in the cage.

Is there a reason you have the humidifier tube running through the cage? Can you not fasten the tube to the outside and face it in?

And how recently did you change the sleep schedule? (How did I miss that part of the story??????????). Anyway, that is probably the main reason. It takes a little while for them to get used to a new schedule. My guy has done the same thing when I switch him an hour back or forward. Even 30 minutes seems to mess him up. Chameleons, once they get on a schedule, they really get on that schedule haaard. If this is the case, then yeah I wouldn't worry about it. He will settle down.

I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you. How long are your day/night cycles? I've had problems in the past where I forgot to readjust my lights after daylight savings or the other one which can mess up their cycle. And their eyesight doesn't seem to be too bad in the dark. One night, my dude was still up in his basking spot when all the lights in the room went off, and the next morning I found him in his usual sleeping spot a couple feet down in the cage.

Is there a reason you have the humidifier tube running through the cage? Can you not fasten the tube to the outside and face it in?

And how recently did you change the sleep schedule? (How did I miss that part of the story??????????). Anyway, that is probably the main reason. It takes a little while for them to get used to a new schedule. My guy has done the same thing when I switch him an hour back or forward. Even 30 minutes seems to mess him up. Chameleons, once they get on a schedule, they really get on that schedule haaard. If this is the case, then yeah I wouldn't worry about it. He will settle down.
I keep the lights on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. I wasn't sure how to fasten the tube outside the cage, but I will try that out, and I changed his sleep schedule about a month-month 1/2 ago gradually. Thank you for the advice, I tend to get worried easily with him, it may just be those things. 😅

Back
Top Bottom