Doesn't like to go back in his cage

JlaPinska

He recently decided that he likes being out of his cage more than in it. This is him when he doesnt want to go back in.. Turns as dark as he can and refuses to let me touch him. Like i have the plague or something Lol
18396802725_f260294d8b_z.jpg

He will walk in reverse to avoid me too which is hilarious.

Veileds hate being caged. If you have a room or safe area where kids and other pets can't get to him, you should set up a free range for him.

Veileds hate being caged. If you have a room or safe area where kids and other pets can't get to him, you should set up a free range for him.

unfortunately i don't have any money right now but once i do i plan to keep a plant indoors so he can free range and maybe a hibiscus outside so he can free range while i watch him. i do have 2 cats. so even indoors, i have to watch him. they don't seem interested in him, just his crickets. But i don't trust em lol

unfortunately i don't have any money right now but once i do i plan to keep a plant indoors so he can free range and maybe a hibiscus outside so he can free range while i watch him. i do have 2 cats. so even indoors, i have to watch him. they don't seem interested in him, just his crickets. But i don't trust em lol

It would be hard to free range with cats. I've even seen threads on here where cats busted through screen cages and got people's chameleons. There's a blog on here somewhere about keeping cats and chameleons. I'll see if I can find it for you.

thanks. i havent had any problems with my cats so far besides the younger one grabs escapees quicker than i can. she loves to eat his crickets

we use the squirt bottle method because when i drop crickets in his cage, the cats immediately want the crickets. but i never take him out and just let him roam without keeping a close eye on him. outside i have to be afraid of birds grabbing him up too. Hoping to screen in the deck next year so he can free range all he wants. The cats stay indoors so they wont be able to bother him. My cats really arent interested in him. But they are quite snobby and spoiled.

This is a common behaviour in my experience with all species of chameleon, once they get a taste for free range. Especially outside in natural sunlight.
Have the same at the moment with a male fishers (multi) now he's got used to the great outdoors. Have to literally prise him off the branches to get him back inside. He was very nervous the first couple of times i put him outside to free range. Now he gives me the evil eye, like he knows when im going to put him back in.
Its really worth the effort though to construct an outside aviary/enclosure. If not for the increased appetite & general healthier look the animal takes on. Then definitely for the tremendous bright colours/patterns you just don't seem to get under artificial lighting.

Last edited:
This is a common behaviour in my experience with all species of chameleon, once they get a taste for free range.
Have the same at the moment with a male fishers (multi) now he's got used to the great outdoors. Have to literally prise him off the branches to get him back inside. He was very nervous the first couple of times i put him outside to free range. Now he gives me the evil eye, like he knows when im going to put him back in.

Hah! I have to pry mine off the curtain rod. As soon as you think you've got one foot off, another one grabs on, or their tail grabs on. Lol

Ha ha! Yes mines the same. It's actually quite amusing, as mine puffs up his throat & kind of huffs & puffs & then has a little sulk once he's back in. :D

I just got my cham last Saturday and he's certainly all for free range lol I tried to take him outside once and it freaked him out so I'm waiting on that for a bit. Once I take him out and about the house though, he's all over everything:p I got 3 cats to worry about-ish. My oldest cat does not care at all, he put our youngest in her place today when she kept trying to sniff him lol but my boyfriends cat i 100% do not trust >_>

i have cats as well and they just want his crickets. lol. i took him outside the first time he tried to flatten out against my arm he was so scared but now he likes it. i just dont let him out of his cage unless i am there to supervise as much as i love my cats, i don't trust them one bit lol

Back
Top Bottom