Hi all! So lately Winston has been spending more and more time climbing on the screen walls and screen ceiling of his cage. I'm pretty sure its because he wants to get out and explore but unfortunately I don't speak chameleon so I can't say for sure. He has never let me handle him but I have left the cage door open before with a little bridge for him to get to my ficus tree but instead of going in the tree he just climbs onto the outside of the cage and wanders around on top of it and the sides and refuses to go back inside. I know climbing on screen isn't good for them so its starting to worry me that he is doing it more and more often. The only thing that has recently changed about the cage is that I bought a jungle dawn LED bulb that is on for most of the day to help the plants grow. Is there something wrong with my setup or do I just have a chameleon who wants to roam free?
- Your Chameleon – 5 month old male ambilobe panther chameleon. I’ve had him for a about 3 months.
- Handling – Never. I want to get to the point where he is comfortable with handling but every time I get close he puffs up and sometimes hisses so I back off.
- Feeding – Dubia roaches, crickets, superworms and every day I try to get him to eat just one treat out of my hand (wax worms, hornworms etc) Feeding him as much as he will take since he’s growing (except for the treat items). I usually feed him around noon. I gutload the feeders with apples, oranges, potatoes, carrots, collard greens and cricket crack.
- Supplements – Repashy Calcium Plus for every feeding.
- Watering – I use a mistking with a rain nozzle, I mist every day 3 times a day for 2 minutes each time with a 15 minute misting every Sunday. I do see my chameleon drinking occasionally
- Fecal Description – Has never been tested for parasites. His poop is moist and tight packed and most of the urates are close to white
- History – He is from kammerflage kreations
- Cage Type – Reptibreeze screen cage, 24” X 24” X 48”
- Lighting – Zoomed T5 terrarium hood with a UVB 5.0 bulb in it for UVB, for heat he as a 65 watt daylight basking bulb, and a jungledawn led bulb to help the plants grow. He also has a 25 watt ceramic bulb that comes on at night. The lights come on at 7:30 AM and they turn off at 7:30 PM.
- Temperature – Cage floor is 72 degrees, basking spot is 80 degrees. Temperature never drops below 67 at night. To measure I use a thermometer/hygrometer and I have a temperature gun. I also have a space heater that will turn on automatically if the temp drops too low.
- Humidity – The room humidity is always around 45%, the cage humidity is usually between 45% and 60%. I have a live umbrella plant in the cage and my humidifier turns on automatically when the room humidity drops to low. I measure it with the thermometer/hygrometer.
- Plants – I have an umbrella plant in the cage, a spiderplant a tiny pothos and a big hanging pothos next to his cage. I also have a ficus alii in the room.
- Placement – His cage is in my bedroom/office since I work from home. His cage is only about 6 feet away from my desk that I work at but I have reed fencing all around his cage except the front and lots of leaves on the sides to give him some more privacy. Also my back is always turned away from him while I’m working so he doesn’t feel like I’m staring at him. Its not near any fans or vents.