Does this guy look OK to you?

astroprojector

Can you tell me if this guy looks OK to you? I got him about two month ago and everything was OK. About a week or maybe little more I noticed that he was not eating much. He would still eat but not as many crickets as before. He started to shed, so I thought may be that is why he was not eating much, strange thing though only his head was shedding. At this point I think he is done shedding but he still does not eat. I just got a mister and now I mist him 3 times a day 5 minutes each time. I have seen him drinking. Does his eyes look sunken to you?

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Mash metal screen, 18x18x36. I covered the back of the cage with plastic to keep the humidity in and mostly not to get water on the wall. I just finished remodeling the house. There is plenty of ventilation as all other sides completely open.

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 18" ReptiSun 10.0 UVB light, for heat I use regular 65W flood light.
*Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I don’t have a digital thermometer yet. I know that the room temperature during the day is 75 degrees and at night it drops to 68 degrees.
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Mistking 3 times a day 5 minutes each time. Water dripper.

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a large schefflora. I had to trim it a little bit.
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage located in my kid room. On the stand. There no wents nearby.

* Location - Where are you geographically located? Los Angeles, CA 91344

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species = Jackson Chameleon, sex= Male, and age of your chameleon = about 4 to 5 month.
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once I week.
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Have pin head crickets in cage right now but going to go get other varieties at pet store soon... recommendations welcome What amount? About 5 to 6 medium size crickets a day. I tried hornworms, he ate couple at one time, but was not interested in them since. I dusted some with Calcium and others with minerals powder. What is the schedule? Daily, calcium with no d3, twice a month with d3 and once a month with supplements and minerals. How are you gut-loading your feeders? Vegetables, potatoes, oranges

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium with vitamin D3, Calcium w/o vitamin D3 and Mineral powder.

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Mistking 3 times a day 5 minutes per time and water dripper.
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. White liquid and brown solid stuff.

* History – I got the chameleon at the Pomona reptile show on Saturday the 9th. I bought from FL Chams. The sales guy told me that the chameleon was wild caught in Hawaii. They had several of them in the cage and they were selling them very quickly.

* Current Problem – have not been eating much lately sometimes several days in a row. I have seen him drink.

65 Watts seems a bit much for a jacksons.

I live In L.A as well and my panthers have 50 watt bulbs, which takes them into the mid 80's for most of the day.

Jacksons from my knowledge and this is limited, but from my understanding need lower temperatures than that.

I would also suggest purchasing a digital thermometer, your room temperature may be at a certain point, but basking lights are just what they are, concentrated areas of heat. Its very likely tour temps are too high.

As for the shedding I am not sure, but my guess is that if it is too hot for the animal shedding becomes a difficulty, which may explain the odd behavior.

Go to your local petco and get the digial therma there, its only around $5.99 or so. It will give you and us a much better idea of what is going on.

--------------------------------

This may be besides the point but do you know if FL chams performed a fecal on this animal?

It may be possible that is has parasites which are affecting its appetite.

I know that when I asked about their WC carpets at the pomona show they said they had not been treated.

Not knocking Fl Chams at all. They are wonderful, its just the WC part that is the issue.

He's beautiful...

Are you sure about the age?

I'm wondering if he's not a month or two older and so, coming into his adulthood. From what I've read here, adults don't eat quite as much as juveniles.

In my experience (supported by what I've read here) adults don't always do a full body shed all at once...they sort of space it out.

He looks like he could be an adult to me, but I'm far from an expert....

Hello
I am not an expert on jacksons but, as of now , I think he looks good. I think his color looks great. Hopefully some one with jacksons experience will chime in. Good luck!

He's beautiful...

Are you sure about the age?

I'm wondering if he's not a month or two older and so, coming into his adulthood. From what I've read here, adults don't eat quite as much as juveniles.

In my experience (supported by what I've read here) adults don't always do a full body shed all at once...they sort of space it out.

He looks like he could be an adult to me, but I'm far from an expert....
I do agree he looks older as well.

65 Watts seems a bit much for a jacksons.

I live In L.A as well and my panthers have 50 watt bulbs, which takes them into the mid 80's for most of the day.

Jacksons from my knowledge and this is limited, but from my understanding need lower temperatures than that.

I would also suggest purchasing a digital thermometer, your room temperature may be at a certain point, but basking lights are just what they are, concentrated areas of heat. Its very likely tour temps are too high.

As for the shedding I am not sure, but my guess is that if it is too hot for the animal shedding becomes a difficulty, which may explain the odd behavior.

Go to your local petco and get the digial therma there, its only around $5.99 or so. It will give you and us a much better idea of what is going on. I also have the laser thermometer and I have not seen his body temp going more the 85 degrees, which I think is OK for him. Most of the time his body temp is in mid 70s.

--------------------------------

This may be besides the point but do you know if FL chams performed a fecal on this animal?

It may be possible that is has parasites which are affecting its appetite.

I know that when I asked about their WC carpets at the pomona show they said they had not been treated.

Not knocking Fl Chams at all. They are wonderful, its just the WC part that is the issue.

Sorry I misspoke. I have the 40 Watt bulb. I started with 65 and replaced it with 40. I also have the laser thermometer and I have not seen his body temp going more the 85 degrees, which I think is OK for him. Most of the time his body temp is in mid 70s.

Maybe he isn't done shedding, from what people say on here some chams don't eat as much/at all when they're shedding. Looks pretty good from the pictures you posted though.

I see a little bit of edema. Keep the water up. That has helped me with acclimating WCs. Then get a test done for parasites and treat if necessary. He looks pretty good but the lower appetite may be your indication that something is not improving and possibly getting worse.

He is a nice looking jackson's. Good luck with him.

So, he did not eat today also. I looked on the web to see if I can find any reasons why and found this site.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~chameleon/owners/chapter5-sub4.html

The only explanation that is would make sense is this one:

Hunger Strikes
Causes: When your chameleon stops eating for a prolonged period, this is referred to as a hunger strike. This can be prompted by seasonal change as your chameleon senses the fluctuating diurnal cycle (this is why I recommend your lights are on timers, to keep it consistent!). This can also be prompted by a lack of variety in your chameleons diet. You should initially rule out any ailments such as parasites or stress.

Symptoms: Symptoms are obvious, your chameleon shows no interest in food, but otherwise, looks healthy.

Treatment: Introducing a greater of variety into your chameleons diet, ruling out any ailments, keeping your chameleon's lighting on "timers" so they are not stressed by staying up to late, or by seasonal change. Your veterinarian may suggest an alternative food.

Prevention: Variety in diet and consistent lighting!

Lights are not an issue. I have reptisun 10.0 and 40 watt ligts on the timer from 7 am to 8:30pm. I have been feeding him only crickets, but like I said in the earlier post he did not liked hornworms that much and did not even looked at the superworms.

I can try the silk worms, but I hear they are very fragile and need constant attention. Roaches are out of question, my wife will kill me if I bring roaches to the house.

Any suggestions.

From what I've read, the best approach to a hunger strike is to wait him out. He'll get hungry. Obviously, if it goes on for too long you'll need to do more. Introducing new feeders is definitely an option.

You might try wax worms for a first temptation...they are basically balls of fat with no redeeming social value and so, fun to eat.

Plan on returning to your primary feeder once you break the strike. This isn't a "change in primary feeder" it's a "getting him to take the first bite" situation.

Those Dubia roaches people talk about here are very "unroachlike"...you can probably call them something else. They have advantages that your wife would probably appreciate. The big one being they don't smell bad. They also are not climbers. I suspect that means you'll need to cup feed. From what I've read here they are a good basic feeder so if your chameleon liked them, you could switch over to Dubias instead of crickets.

Can you tell me if this guy looks OK to you? I got him about two month ago and everything was OK. About a week or maybe little more I noticed that he was not eating much. He would still eat but not as many crickets as before. He started to shed, so I thought may be that is why he was not eating much, strange thing though only his head was shedding. At this point I think he is done shedding but he still does not eat. I just got a mister and now I mist him 3 times a day 5 minutes each time. I have seen him drinking. Does his eyes look sunken to you?

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Mash metal screen, 18x18x36. I covered the back of the cage with plastic to keep the humidity in and mostly not to get water on the wall. I just finished remodeling the house. There is plenty of ventilation as all other sides completely open.

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 18" ReptiSun 10.0 UVB light, for heat I use regular 65W flood light.
*Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I don’t have a digital thermometer yet. I know that the room temperature during the day is 75 degrees and at night it drops to 68 degrees.
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Mistking 3 times a day 5 minutes each time. Water dripper.

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a large schefflora. I had to trim it a little bit.
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage located in my kid room. On the stand. There no wents nearby.

* Location - Where are you geographically located? Los Angeles, CA 91344

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species = Jackson Chameleon, sex= Male, and age of your chameleon = about 4 to 5 month.
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once I week.
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Have pin head crickets in cage right now but going to go get other varieties at pet store soon... recommendations welcome What amount? About 5 to 6 medium size crickets a day. I tried hornworms, he ate couple at one time, but was not interested in them since. I dusted some with Calcium and others with minerals powder. What is the schedule? Daily, calcium with no d3, twice a month with d3 and once a month with supplements and minerals. How are you gut-loading your feeders? Vegetables, potatoes, oranges

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium with vitamin D3, Calcium w/o vitamin D3 and Mineral powder.

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Mistking 3 times a day 5 minutes per time and water dripper.
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. White liquid and brown solid stuff.

* History – I got the chameleon at the Pomona reptile show on Saturday the 9th. I bought from FL Chams. The sales guy told me that the chameleon was wild caught in Hawaii. They had several of them in the cage and they were selling them very quickly.

* Current Problem – have not been eating much lately sometimes several days in a row. I have seen him drink.

There is some edema going on with him, I suspect it could be over-supplementation as jackson's chameleons are more sensitive to supplements than some of the other species are, make sure when you dust the feeders they are not caked, but lightly dusted.

It is very common for wild caught chameleons to be riddled with parasites and this could be the reason he is not eating much. I recommend that you get a fecal done and then treat any parasites you find, if you find any.

There is some edema going on with him, I suspect it could be over-supplementation as jackson's chameleons are more sensitive to supplements than some of the other species are, make sure when you dust the feeders they are not caked, but lightly dusted.

It is very common for wild caught chameleons to be riddled with parasites and this could be the reason he is not eating much. I recommend that you get a fecal done and then treat any parasites you find, if you find any.

How do see from the pictures that he has edema?

If at all possible get some mantids they always do the trick for my guys!! and make sure the temps dont get to high this is one of the worst things for them!
They dont need the high temps other chams do !! Good Luck

I think the temps are OK, In fact I see him sometimes clinging to the cage right under the heat lamp.

Where do I get mantids?

5 to 6 medium crix a day IMO is overkill. He does seem to be of older age, not a juvie at least. I feed my montanes around 6 appropriate sized crix or equivilant to every other day. A few times a month I will make them go 3 or even 4 days without food or very little, like a feeder or two in that time.

What is your supp schedule? I dust my adults very lightly with cal once a week and might use d3 source every month and a half to two months. Again very lightly. Vitamins and minerals even less than d3. A healthy gutload is key. Try some blue bottle flies if his appetite does not get better however he does not appear to be famished in the pics.

I was dusting with calcium every day and D3 once every two weeks and supplements once I month. I probably switch it calcium once I week, D3 once I month and supplements once every to month.

I notice that when I get close to him, or when I try to pick him up he puffs a little bit. When he is not bothered he looks smaller.

Back
Top Bottom