Does she have eggs or is she just fat

Loudawg91

Hello everyone here some pics of chameleon when she’s sleeping and awake. I have fed her a lot but since I got her around April and she was all ready a few months old. I’ve seen her shed only twice but I’m not exactly sure when they start laying there clutches of eggs

Attachments

• 8FDB54A3-1C39-4F0A-BB9F-9F8C5E0C41F3.jpeg
    8FDB54A3-1C39-4F0A-BB9F-9F8C5E0C41F3.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 105
  • EA0229EF-0959-4A00-9D23-15D9EBB6FA01.jpeg
    EA0229EF-0959-4A00-9D23-15D9EBB6FA01.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 94
  • A18E726D-FDBD-42EA-9FBE-9E8F368DCEA5.jpeg
    A18E726D-FDBD-42EA-9FBE-9E8F368DCEA5.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 59A9ECCF-BE81-4837-A619-BC50B2EFD659.jpeg
    59A9ECCF-BE81-4837-A619-BC50B2EFD659.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 105
  • D2330AD8-F243-4040-98BF-05955CC08DE5.jpeg
    D2330AD8-F243-4040-98BF-05955CC08DE5.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 493AD1CF-C1AC-40A8-8224-53DF561BF5F0.jpeg
    493AD1CF-C1AC-40A8-8224-53DF561BF5F0.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 96
Would you please fill out this form it will help us check if everything is all right

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi. She is quite plump and most likely is carrying eggs. I am also seeing some signs of metabolic bone disease. I know you just want a simple question answered, but with mbd, she is not going to be able to have an easy time of laying eggs and possibly may not be able to lay them at all. It’s essential that you answer the questions provided about all of your husbandry, so we can see exactly where problems are. I’m so very glad that you’re here and this great community will be more than happy to help you to get everything as perfect as possible for your sweet girl. :)

Do you have a lay bin in her enclosure? How long has she looked like that?
How much/often do you feed her, what do you feed her, and what supplements do you use?
I did have a lay bin in there but I noticed she wasn’t digging at all. I’m not home a lot so she does have privacy. Lately I have been feeding her large meal worms. But before I was giving her horn worms as well as silk worms. But I been switching cause at first it looked like she was struggling eating horn worms cause they get too big. So then I was giving her silk worms. But the store I was getting them at. Always runs out. So I’ve been giving large meal worms

I did have a lay bin in there but I noticed she wasn’t digging at all. I’m not home a lot so she does have privacy. Lately I have been feeding her large meal worms. But before I was giving her horn worms as well as silk worms. But I been switching cause at first it looked like she was struggling eating horn worms cause they get too big. So then I was giving her silk worms. But the store I was getting them at. Always runs out. So I’ve been giving large meal worms
She should have more of variety, horn worms are a treat & meal worms are not recommended. Hard for the chams to digest. Also you should be supplementing with calcium w.out d3 every feeding. & multivitamin 2 times a month. (Ever other week)

Would you please fill out this form it will help us check if everything is all right

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    its a veiled chameleon, it’s a female, been in my care since April.

• Handling - How often do you handle your chame
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
  2. Photos can be very helpfully
It’s a female veiled chameleon been in my care since April. I have a automatic mister that sprays every hour for 15 sec. but at night when I come home from work. Around 7/8, I spray the cage for a full minute about three times. I don’t handle her at all. She’s very hostile and doesn’t like the attention. She runs away every time I go look at her. Unless I have food. Lately I have been feeding her large meal worms. I was feeding her horn worms and silk worms. But the store I go runs out of silk worms pretty quick and it looks like she struggles with the horn worms because at times they grow to big.
her cage level is pretty low. I don’t have anything to really set up her cage high. Her cage is placed on top of a low dresser. I’m located in California.

She should have more of variety, horn worms are a treat & meal worms are not recommended. Hard for the chams to digest. Also you should be supplementing with calcium w.out d3 every feeding. & multivitamin 2 times a month. (Ever other week)
What kind of multivitamin should I be getting? And for the food should I just stick with the crickets?

What kind of multivitamin should I be getting? And for the food should I just stick with the crickets?
You never wanna "just stick with one" you need a variety. Crickets, dubia roaches, BSFL & flies, there's so many you can pick from. But variety is best. & use Reptivite 2 times a month

You never wanna "just stick with one" you need a variety. Crickets, dubia roaches, BSFL & flies, there's so many you can pick from. But variety is best. & use Reptivite 2 times a month
And for the bin. How wide and deep should it be

And for the supplements I was giving her the repti calcium without D3. But idk if it’s for her bones.
O okay you said you weren't giving any supplements. Calcium w.out d3 every feeding & multivitamin 2 times a month w.out the Calcium so example 1st & the 15th of each month

What about your lighting? Are you using uvb? What kind…long tube or screw in bulb?
I’m using a long tube. And thanks for the pics those are great and I was using the supplements but I stopped. I probably shouldn’t have…..what’s the difference between the ones with D3 and without the D3

Supplements 101...
We recommend using the phos free calcium powder dusted lightly on the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon at all feedings but one a week to make up for the often poor ratio of calcium to phos found in most insects.

We recommend dusting twice a month on the days we don't use the calcium powder with a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues. This leaves the chameleon tomproduce the rest of the D3 it needs from its exposure to the UVB light either from direct sunlight or from the UVB bulb we use. D3 from sunlight or the UVB bulb won't build up in the system as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it at will usually.

We recommend using a vitamin powder with no D3 but with a prEformed source of vitamin A (look for words like retinol, retinyl, acetate, etc) twice a month lightly. The prEformed vitamin A can also build up in the system. (The prOformed (beta carotene) can't...but it's not certain that chameleons can convert it to use.)

(Some people use a vitamin powder with D3 and prEformed vitamin A twice a month instead of the vitamin powder and the calciumD3 powder twice each.)

More information...
Now...for UVB ...the most often recommended are the Reptisun 5.0 and the Arcadia 6% long linear tube lights. (Compacts are not good.) You said you're using a long tube light..so that's good!

You want to feed/gutload the insects well so that the chameleon is getting healthy food.

The lay bin should be in the cage all the time so she has a place to dig when she needs too. You don't want her to become eggbound.
Give her privacy if/when she digs.

BTW...how much do you feed her in a week? Overfeeding veiled females can lead to reproductive issues. The basking temperatures should be kept at 80F or slightly lower too to help her not be so hungry.

Back
Top Bottom