Does my veiled cham look ok?

Sketchie&Apollo

My veiled, Apollo, looks sort of brownish green ever since we got him from the pet store. My profile picture is a picture of him when we got him, and here are some current photos: cham1.jpg cham3.jpg cham2.jpg
He also seems to be kind of grumpy. Every time I open the cage he flares up. Is he just stressed, or is there something else? By the way I'm new to chameleons and the forums.

My veiled, Apollo, looks sort of brownish green ever since we got him from the pet store. My profile picture is a picture of him when we got him, and here are some current photos:View attachment 244337View attachment 244338View attachment 244339
He also seems to be kind of grumpy. Every time I open the cage he flares up. Is he just stressed, or is there something else? By the way I'm new to chameleons and the forums.
They are typically grumpy little creatures, so don’t worry about that!

If he’s still new to you it’ll take him a few days/even a few weeks to get used to his new surroundings.

I’d recommend making sure the temps/humidity are correct, he’s being fed and supplemented correctly, misted long enough and often enough, and even add some more foliage( fake or real plants ) to give him more hiding spots
and make him feel more around comfortable.

Veileds are usually little balls of attitude. Leave him alone and let him trust you st his rate on his terms. Try hand feeding worms or leave him alone( eye contact/looking for him/ opening his cage too often). I’ve had my female for nearly a year now and the only time i open her cage is to clean feed adjust the misting things and on the extremely rare occasion handle her. Treat them like fish not like a snake/bearded dragon.

If he’s still new to you it’ll take him a few days/even a few weeks to get used to his new surroundings.

I’d recommend making sure the temps/humidity are correct, he’s being fed and supplemented correctly, misted long enough and often enough, and even add some more foliage( fake or real plants ) to give him more hiding spots
and make him feel more around comfortable.

Veileds are usually little balls of attitude. Leave him alone and let him trust you st his rate on his terms. Try hand feeding worms or leave him alone( eye contact/looking for him/ opening his cage too often). I’ve had my female for nearly a year now and the only time i open her cage is to clean feed adjust the misting things and on the extremely rare occasion handle her. Treat them like fish not like a snake/bearded dragon.
Ok Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forums! Your cute little guy does look a bit scared, I definitely suggest adding more plants and branches so he can hide if he wants to.

Do you have good lighting for him? You'll definitely want to make sure you have good linear UVB lighting (preferably T5 HO and definitely not compact or coil if that's what you got sold at pet store. Pet stores often give bad advice for chameleons.)

Here's a link to the care sheet and images for your reference:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/images/

Or if you want your husbandry/care specially checked, you can copy and paste the help form (https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/) directly into your thread here and just fill in your answers. Experienced keepers then give you feedback and recommendations.

Have a great day!

The attitude has been covered pretty well already. The full coloration is most likely due to a lack of proper lighting. Based on the pictures you provided it seems that you are using a dome fixture for light. The care images provided above will give you the information you need to get the correct lighting. This is of the utmost importance, not only will you see an improvement on his coloration but without the correct UVB your cham can and will develop some life threatening illnesses.

Hi, welcome to the forums! Your cute little guy does look a bit scared, I definitely suggest adding more plants and branches so he can hide if he wants to.

Do you have good lighting for him? You'll definitely want to make sure you have good linear UVB lighting (preferably T5 HO and definitely not compact or coil if that's what you got sold at pet store. Pet stores often give bad advice for chameleons.)

Here's a link to the care sheet and images for your reference:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/images/

Or if you want your husbandry/care specially checked, you can copy and paste the help form (https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/) directly into your thread here and just fill in your answers. Experienced keepers then give you feedback and recommendations.

Have a great day!
Thanks, I'll look into this. I have a 26 watt 120 uvb, and I'm getting a couple more plants for him. When I took these photos I had a temporary 13 watt, but now he is a brighter color.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll look into this. I have a 26 watt 120 uvb, and I'm getting a couple more plants for him. When I took these photos I had a temporary 13 watt, but now he is a brighter color.
You just want to make sure it's the long tube linear type. The compact/coil type are known to cause health problems in chameleons. I know they can maybe work for other reptiles but unfortunately they aren't adequate for chameleons (even though they're often included in the kits.)

You just want to make sure it's the long tube linear type. The compact/coil type are known to cause health problems in chameleons. I know they can maybe work for other reptiles but unfortunately they aren't adequate for chameleons (even though they're often included in the kits.)
Ok, I'll check and make sure.

One other thing I wanted to ask, how long should I wait until I attempt to handle him? On the first day he was amazing and loved to be handled, but now he is a bit of a grump. I know people say to wait, but how long? I don't really want to take him out to "play with him" I want to give him some more vitamin d and basking time in the real sun.

One other thing I wanted to ask, how long should I wait until I attempt to handle him? On the first day he was amazing and loved to be handled, but now he is a bit of a grump. I know people say to wait, but how long? I don't really want to take him out to "play with him" I want to give him some more vitamin d and basking time in the real sun.
I never handle my chameleon simply because he doesn't like it and I dont enjoy scaring him. But I would give him a few weeks before trying to handle him. Try feeding him by hand or with a pair of feeding tongs and get him used to your hand. I find if you take it gradual and dont force them they will trust you more. Once you scare them it could take a while before you build their trust again. Which is why my guy will eat from my hand but I don't hold him. But some people just have the desire to want to and I get that.

Check out this blog, good info:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Once you built trust, it's great. I hand feed my cham a treat (hornworm or super worm) to get him out of his cage to take him outside for sun. He trusts me and will sprint up my arm to get his worm, then outside we go.

Mine was the same way, as a juvenile he didn't mind being handled and me being in is space. Now, he doesn't tolerate me at all.

Back
Top Bottom