Does my chameleon look healthy?

Ryan4eagles

Hi all,
My chameleon is not able to shoot his tongue out more than an inch, so he has a vet appointment tomorrow.

In the meantime, does he look healthy to you guys based off of these recent photos below?
He did not have UVB the first 6 weeks so I think he’s recovering from a mild form of MBD. Ever since he’s been basking under his reptisun 10.0 and has been getting calcium coated feedings the last few weeks (force fed).

Thanks,
Ryan

Attachments

• FB86E1FC-0EC2-435E-AB00-6C522F9E9A7C.png
    FB86E1FC-0EC2-435E-AB00-6C522F9E9A7C.png
    943 KB · Views: 99
  • E67E1CB2-E4AF-442B-B2F7-184DFD407E77.jpeg
    E67E1CB2-E4AF-442B-B2F7-184DFD407E77.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 95
  • C2A37918-30FD-4F00-825A-0B0CD950AB71.png
    C2A37918-30FD-4F00-825A-0B0CD950AB71.png
    704.1 KB · Views: 94
  • D3A2F8A8-F646-4D78-977D-39289EFF6A21.jpeg
    D3A2F8A8-F646-4D78-977D-39289EFF6A21.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 101
  • D90911AE-78D8-47E2-861A-91784B950D43.png
    D90911AE-78D8-47E2-861A-91784B950D43.png
    1 MB · Views: 99
  • B0421C56-DD6B-43B2-95CB-FA03F4E2CD95.png
    B0421C56-DD6B-43B2-95CB-FA03F4E2CD95.png
    1 MB · Views: 97
  • 8DD1EA15-F854-4E70-93BE-1B05CD14BC7F.jpeg
    8DD1EA15-F854-4E70-93BE-1B05CD14BC7F.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 82
  • FEB3F735-3CA7-49A1-A925-6C5F402DDFF7.png
    FEB3F735-3CA7-49A1-A925-6C5F402DDFF7.png
    1 MB · Views: 94
What supplements have you been using and how often for each?
Do they have D3 or prEformed vitamin A in them.

Dusting every feeding?
So you only use reptical?

I looked at you other threads and I see @MissSkittles already told you how to do the supplements and gave you lots of other information.
He's not going to be able to absorb the calcium into his sites and keep his bones, etc strong without enough UVB and/or D3. D3/UVB transports the calcium into the chameleon's system.
I also see that you took him outside for a bit of sun....so at least he got some D3 to help with the calcium absorption.

Last edited:
If you can hold them where he can see them and reach them he should be able to still eat them even if his tongue only shoots out an inch. Is it that he only prefers meal worms? They aren’t really very good for him. Have you tried bsfl or silk worms? They don’t move away very fast.

If you can hold them where he can see them and reach them he should be able to still eat them even if his tongue only shoots out an inch. Is it that he only prefers meal worms? They aren’t really very good for him. Have you tried bsfl or silk worms? They don’t move away very fast.
Hi Linda, thank you. The vet gave me similar advice. :) an update on AJ, he is doing well but unable to shoot his tongue. I took him to the vet today and my vet gave me calcium meds and directions to increase his vitamin a. The vet also gave him a multi vitamin shot to jump start his healing. He thinks it’s a nutritional deficiency that likely started before I got him. His tongue should heal within two months but if he doesn’t learn to use it again it will not hurt his quality of life. Just wanted to keep you and everyone else updated.

Thank you for keeping us informed? I’m so glad you saw a vet and got proper instructions and help! I hope he does well and gets the use of his tongue back. Let us know how he does.

@Ryan4eagles ..please make only one thread about the same chameleon with the same problem so it's easier for us to follow.

Here's the other thread for those of you who are following this...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleon-without-uvb-please-help.184553/page-2
So sorry about that, thank you.
@Ryan4eagles ..please make only one thread about the same chameleon with the same problem so it's easier for us to follow.

Here's the other thread for those of you who are following this...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleon-without-uvb-please-help.184553/page-2
so sorry about this, thank you.

He will only eat mealworms from my hand, and I can’t feed him crickets or roaches by hand because they scurry off.
If you use a shallow container (like the kind that mealworms usually come in), you can put some roaches in for him to eat. Crickets might be a bit tricker but you could try a tall deli cup. Get some silkworms too…those are great for hand feeding and nutritious. Mealworms aren’t at all a recommended staple for chameleons.

Great advice on the roaches, thank you! I also have a cup feeder (see picture attached). I will be placing a stick right up next to it so he can reach them. If he doesn’t eat them from the feeder my vet said I can continue force feeding until he does so

Attachments

• E093AF3A-3400-4988-9179-446549CA7EB6.png
    E093AF3A-3400-4988-9179-446549CA7EB6.png
    571.3 KB · Views: 59
Hi all,
My chameleon is not able to shoot his tongue out more than an inch, so he has a vet appointment tomorrow.

In the meantime, does he look healthy to you guys based off of these recent photos below?
He did not have UVB the first 6 weeks so I think he’s recovering from a mild form of MBD. Ever since he’s been basking under his reptisun 10.0 and has been getting calcium coated feedings the last few weeks (force fed).

Thanks,
Ryan
He is quite nice looking fella lol..his crown 👑 is getting big!

Hi all,

Thanks,
Ryan
He's very nice!

Hello I have been reading the advice given to you. My veiled has to be hand fed due to an eye problem from injury sustained by breeders. First thing I do is put collard greens out for him everyday. They are high in vit A and K and he doesnt have to hunt. He doesnt eat it evryday but i offer it all the same. Second get 10 inch tongs that have coverings on the ends. You can offer crickets mealworms, superworms, etc. giving him some distance. I also notice no folligae in tbe pics. Mine likes swiss cheese plant. The leaves are big and i have it propped up so he has some hiding places. I have taught mine to take drops of water from a Refresh eye drop container that i cleanef out and fill with bottled water. He doesnt drink water off of leaves or other things so i always worry about dehydration. i try to keep hornworms on hand. I got liquid calcium from the vet and inject some into a hornworm so calcium levels dont get low. Hornworms also are high in calcium and liquid to prevent dehydration. I have found using hornworms is easy solution for a delivery system of vitamins for problem eaters. since you handle your veiled easily, start an excersise routine where he climbs from one hand to the next headed upward until he gets tired and stops. I do this almost daily and my boy loves it and has come to really trust my hands This will help keep his limbs strong.

Hello I have been reading the advice given to you. My veiled has to be hand fed due to an eye problem from injury sustained by breeders. First thing I do is put collard greens out for him everyday. They are high in vit A and K and he doesnt have to hunt. He doesnt eat it evryday but i offer it all the same. Second get 10 inch tongs that have coverings on the ends. You can offer crickets mealworms, superworms, etc. giving him some distance. I also notice no folligae in tbe pics. Mine likes swiss cheese plant. The leaves are big and i have it propped up so he has some hiding places. I have taught mine to take drops of water from a Refresh eye drop container that i cleanef out and fill with bottled water. He doesnt drink water off of leaves or other things so i always worry about dehydration. i try to keep hornworms on hand. I got liquid calcium from the vet and inject some into a hornworm so calcium levels dont get low. Hornworms also are high in calcium and liquid to prevent dehydration. I have found using hornworms is easy solution for a delivery system of vitamins for problem eaters. since you handle your veiled easily, start an excersise routine where he climbs from one hand to the next headed upward until he gets tired and stops. I do this almost daily and my boy loves it and has come to really trust my hands This will help keep his limbs strong.
Good advice

Back
Top Bottom