Does he look healthy?

Small Farm

I've had him for about 3 months. He has shed twice since I got him. He eats mostly mealworms, crickets, and some hornworm and waxworms every once in a while. I have both a heat lamp and uvb lamp but he prefers to sit in the sun coming through the window. He is free ranging in a 6ft tall Benjamin ficus with other houseplants he can reach if he wanted too, but he prefers the tree. I mist him and the tree at least twice a day.

Attachments

• IMG_20190411_102308.jpg
    IMG_20190411_102308.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 108
I've had him for about 3 months. He has shed twice since I got him. He eats mostly mealworms, crickets, and some hornworm and waxworms every once in a while. I have both a heat lamp and uvb lamp but he prefers to sit in the sun coming through the window. He is free ranging in a 6ft tall Benjamin ficus with other houseplants he can reach if he wanted too, but he prefers the tree. I mist him and the tree at least twice a day.
To be fair, with that pic, no one can answer this. Some more pics and completing the usual care form will help folk see if there are any issues.

One thing though, whilst it maybe warm for him in the sunlight through the window, the glass blocks the UVB so he gets 0 UVB from that and needs time under a good tube.

To be fair, with that pic, no one can answer this. Some more pics and completing the usual care form will help folk see if there are any issues.[/QUOTE

Yes please post some more photos, and the care sheet, so members are better able to help. Maybe a close one of the back foot also. Hard to tell from the photo you provided, but he sort of looks she ish to me.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled male, about 6months old.. How long has it been in your care? 4 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1-2 a week
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He has a small dish of crickets and mealworms on the bottom of one of his trees. He also gets hornworms and waxworms on occasion. I feed my crickets leftover produce from the fridge (raspberries, lettuce, etc)
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Reptocal every other feeding and reptivite once a week
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? At least twice a day I give him a good mist. I see him drink like once a week...
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never been tested, Brown with some off white urates.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) No cage, 6ft talk ficus tree and other houseplants he can wander around on.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Not sure brands... I have a heat and a uvb light that he had won't sit under. I turn it on when I get up (8ish) and off when I go to bed(9ish)
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Mid 60s at night, low-mid 70s during the day, sometimes warmer when the sun heats up my room
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Not sure about humidity, but with 20+ houseplants in one room it should be fairly high I would think.
  • Plants - Benjamin ficus, marble queen pothos, dracaena, 6 citrus trees, 3 bannanas, etc
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? He lives in the tree next to the window.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Ogden ut

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. He seems really chubby... Does he look good?

Attachments

• IMG_20190412_080036.jpg
    IMG_20190412_080036.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20190412_080026.jpg
    IMG_20190412_080026.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20190412_080006.jpg
    IMG_20190412_080006.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20190412_075958.jpg
    IMG_20190412_075958.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20190412_081748.jpg
    IMG_20190412_081748.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 94
I am by no means an expert on Veileds, but based on the photos I am leaning towards him being female. At 6 months old they can be producing eggs, and
Does look a little round in the photo from the back. Might need to get a lay bin ready.
If you haven't already read through the veiled care sheet in the resources area it has a ton of valuable information.
Possible I am wrong, and hopefully one of the members who knows more about veileds will chime in.

@Small Farm So I am pretty sure I am seeing a tarsal spur on those back feet. Hard to tell with the way the pics are taken though. Are you sure he is 6 months old? He is a bit small. As far as his set up. As mentioned he is not getting UVB through the windows. Can you take pics of his lighting so we can see it's placement?
How are you measuring his temps for heat? You need a hydrometer to measure the humidity levels.
Have you seen him eating the dirt in the plants? Veileds are notorious for doing this and puts them at risk for impaction. Also if the dirt is not organic without the perlite then you may have an issue if he ingests it. Typically with Veileds we put 1 inch or larger river rock on top of the soil.
Do your supplements have D3 in it?
Don't feed mealworms they are high in chitin and can cause impaction issues as well.
You need to be guttloading your feeders with the right things as well.
Here are some graphics for you and the care sheet link. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Supplements pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg
UVB lighting pic.jpeg
nonUVB pic.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom