Does anyone know why chameleons are illegal in some states?

Rocco105

I am in massachussetts and I am getting a chameleon but I need to get a permit and I don't know why they are illegal. So.... Does anyone else know?

The Let me Google that for you video does not give you an answer you are looking for as to Why they require permitting just links to the fact that they do. I did some research on that a while back and could not find any evidence to the reasoning behind the original statute but I am sure it exists somewhere.

Many have speculated that is was because when the original law was instituted that sufficent supplies and information did not exist to successfully keep the animals by anyone other than the most experienced keepers so the law was created to regulate the hobbyist with good intentions but lack of knowledge. I do not know if that is truly the case or not but here is a link to that conversation on this forum:

Chameleons in MA

It was certainly not passed because of concern of release into the naitive habitat as they would not survive a spring there much less one winter so it has to be for another reason. Those that say revenue generation are a little off base as well because it is only about $25 for a permit and I cannot imagine there are enough keepers in that state to make it profitable for the organization issuing the permits.

Good news is it does not sound like a difficult process and from the posts I have seen people easily obtain the permit.

You sorta answered your own question. You live in Mass., it has certain political leanings, and there are tons of interest groups there who would like nothing more than to see the herp trade shut down. It's hard to get things banned outright, so they just regulate the heck out of them.
In some places some herps could be banned because of worries that they would be released and crowd out local populations. However, I do not think this is the case in Massachusetts with chameleons. This is just a punitive regulation enacted to satisfy interest groups.

Though I can't speak for the MA law specifically, there is a national trend for states to gain some control over the importation, sale, and production of exotic critters within their boundaries. Probably has nothing to do with chameleons per se, but the more newsworthy riskier species like pythons, venomous herps, predatory mammals, and all the more obscure animals that could potentially harm some careless ignorant human. Instead of considering the risk of every possible exotic species on a case by case basis (which would require the state inspectors to know the risks or requirements of hundreds of species), they prefer to prohibit whole genera or taxonomic groups of animals. There is probably some attempt to get revenue from the permits, but I think more importantly they simply want to make it harder for just anyone to bring anything they want into the state without a legitimate reason. I'm sure there is some AR effort behind it too. Many officials simply can't understand why anyone would want to share their home with anything other than a cat, dog, or goldfish.

Hey,
I live in ma, and in April picked up a panther chameleon and got a permit from fish and wildlife to keep it.
It was VERY easy to do.
I called and they sent me an application, which I mailed back with $35. A week or so later they sent my permit.
It would be harder if you had to get a breeder permit to keep more than one.
Also, there is alot of talk of taking them off the list of exotic animals that require a permit.

Back
Top Bottom