Does anyone know of a site....

hmm i dont know of any site..

i just look in the phone book and call around asking if they have anyone that specializes in (let alone, knows about) chameleons

Yeah, I would call around. Even vets that normally deal with reptiles do not like messing with these guys because of the weight. The university of Tennessee in my area is usually the only place that see reptiles on a regular basis (even suggested through a search engine). They refused to see my Jackson when he got sick. When I got my first chameleon I assumed that they would be the place to take them. When it mattered the most I was on the phone for hours trying to find someone. The place I found ended up being a forty-five minute drive. The vet owns a couple of panthers. He even told me that my jackson was the first he had ever seen in person. It is good to know ahead of time where you would take your chameleons and even if they had ever even seen them before. Alot of people have never seen or heard of these guys other then the name "chameleon". That is why they are exotic and on the vet bill it will usually say it to, exotic $$$.

thanks brad!!!!

Believe it or not, some one listed recommended by herp keepers is less than like a 30 second walk down the street from me!!!! hopefully she can see chams or else there is a herp vet where i take my dog...

ARAV has a site you can search for herp vets:
http://www.arav.org/Directory.htm

Jordan said:
The university of Tennessee in my area is usually the only place that see reptiles on a regular basis (even suggested through a search engine). They refused to see my Jackson when he got sick.

I don't trust UT for several reasons:

1. It is a teaching hospital, not a formal clinic. Once, they made me wait 2 hours past my appointment time, not because of an emergency, but because the student girls there that day were scared of a lizard, and they kept putting my file to the back of the stack! After I caught them at it, I finally was seen.

2. You have to call ahead to find out which vet is on rotation. Two herp vets there are good, but the others I've met just grabbed my cham.

3. The wait to be seen is often 30 minutes past appt time, and then they want to take your cham "in the back". Considering how they handled them in front of me, I would not dare let them out of sight. The wait for an examining room was often longer.

Definitely stick with your own vet. I have found two excellent private practice herp vets, 30 min/1 hour away, but worth it. When the receptionist at the front desk has corn snake draped on her, you know you have found a herp-friendly place.

Kristina

Back
Top Bottom