Do you want to create a Low UV / No UV area in your cage?

Venutus1

Avid Member
Site Sponsor
All you need to do is to either do a double (or tripple) layer of screening in an area ...
This makes a shady low UV area.
Or
use plexi glass or real glass to filter out UV in an area.
This makes a no UV zone but keeps the area bright.

Glass and Plexi Glass BLOCKS 99% of all UVB Rays. Both glass and plexi allow most UVA Rays to pass...and that is fine.

This idea is to help all the folks that are using high UV bulbs but have no plants or shade that is use-able to the animal.
Good for all those "bare top" cages that have sparse foliage and shade up top. :)

And the best thing is that it only costs less than 5.00. :)
HINT--
Go to your local hardware store and they can cut you a piece of glass approx 3 or 4 inches by 7 - 12 inches depending on your cage size. They may even have a FREE piece of scrap glass in the size you need they may give you. As a rule of thumb, it can be 25% - 33% the overall length of the UV bulb you are using.

This allows them a better choice of UV levels just as they would get in Nature! And it is up top of the cage where they stay most of the time.

Cheers,
Todd
www.LightYourReptiles.com
uv gradient.jpg

so 25 percent width of the uv light but how far in depth do you think ? would you just have a strip going all the way back to front of the viv or just the depth ov the uv source ?

Thanks

Thanks for sharing this!

I have made my own fixture on my UV lamp that shield the light from shining into my eyes but it also keeps the light from exposing the front half of the cage to UVB.

As I did this mostly for my own convenience I did not think it could help my cham but come to think of it he does utilize the spot in front of the UV light probably more than the one on the rear so I think I may have helped create this low-UV/UV-free zone without knowing. :D

A question, your average UV tube light/compact does not reach very far, so aren't you already creating a gradient in the vertical space of the cage?

Thanks for sharing this!

I have made my own fixture on my UV lamp that shield the light from shining into my eyes but it also keeps the light from exposing the front half of the cage to UVB.

As I did this mostly for my own convenience I did not think it could help my cham but come to think of it he does utilize the spot in front of the UV light probably more than the one on the rear so I think I may have helped create this low-UV/UV-free zone without knowing. :D

A question, your average UV tube light/compact does not reach very far, so aren't you already creating a gradient in the vertical space of the cage?

Hi Remkon,
we do get a UV gradient vertically in set up.
The situation is that many chams do not use it. They want to stay up near the top because it is their instinct to go "UP".
Plus, it is warmer nearer the lights and top.
So even though tall cages offer a great UV gradient "up and down"...
It is not so conveniently use-able if you are a cham that wants to hang out at the top / in the top 1/3 of the cage. Right? :)
So we if can also create a horizontal gradient in the cage that is more natural for them to use... then all the better.

Not all folks need to worry about this or do this...
I was just responding to a few posts where the keepers seemed to be worrying they had too much UV.
In reality, they may or may not... but without a Solarmeter one would not have any way to be sure.
And so by doing what I am suggesting,
and creating a usable (to the animal) horizontal UV gradient - or improving what already may be there,
they would be creating a more healthful environment so the animal can easily choose the UV strength they want to "sit" in just by walking one way or another on a horizontal branch.
I hope that makes sense. :)
At some point everyone should follow what the Europeans have figured out and go with applying the "Light and Shade" method to their set ups.
Why?
Because basically what you are doing is just duplicating Nature.
And creating an environment that re-creates inside the dappled sunlight the animals experience in their wild environments --
with UV gradients created naturally in the dappled sunlight on the tree branches where they live.
The Light and Shade method is based on how sunlight in the trees is filter through the leaves and branches.
On any given branch, this creates zones of direct sunlight with warmth with the highest UV levels (ie. the basking area),
partially blocked (by leaves and braches) areas of reduced sunlight that also offers zones of reduced UV,
and then areas in full leaf shade that has minimal UV levels.
I hope this makes sense.
;)

so 25 percent width of the uv light but how far in depth do you think ? would you just have a strip going all the way back to front of the viv or just the depth ov the uv source ?

Thanks

I am not exactly sure what you are asking ? You do not put lights going vertically over a cage.
Just horizontal... and always overhead.
If you want ... Post a pic of your cage (or send me a pic to [email protected]) and I can see what you have to work with and make suggestions if needed. :)

ALWAYS position lights OVERHEAD so you do not "shoot" UV rays into their eyes.

This also goes for heat lights and merc vapor.
Keep them overhead of your animals. :)

Someday... if I ever get a free moment I will make some diagrams to help folks visualize the UV light.
And illustrate how the Light and Shade method affects UV levels in a cage environment.
Ahhh- Someday.

For now, I hope this helps.
:)
Cheers.
Todd
www.lightyourreptiles.com

Back
Top Bottom