Do you all agree about this article?

DABRUTE

bestpetlizard.com/

Chameleon
Chameleons can do well in captivity but their very specific, generally unforgiving, care requirements place them on our list of lizards best kept for more advanced handlers. Chameleons available in pet stores are often wild caught and difficult to care for, carrying a variety of parasites and diseases. Captive bred animals are a must.

Though chameleons are beautiful, they are best not being handled unless it is an absolutely necessary as they are easily stressed or hurt. They need very high humidity and a specially set up terrarium with natural or fake plants and ideally with an automatic misting system. Chameleons can make wonderful, fascinating pets but they require much more research, commitment and care than many other lizard species.

Lifespan: 2-5 years

Size: Variable

Minimum Cage size as adults: Variable as per species

Special Care Requirements: Controlled lighting, specific humidity requirements

Pros: Fascinating, unique

Cons: Expensive setup, easily stressed, non-handleable

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree to a certain standpoint. The biggest thing is that chams are a VERY difficult pet for a starter...meaning you do not have a lot of pet experience, especially reptiles. When they make these ratings, they are usually comparing to other reptiles that are much easier, less expensive, and much more forgiving to inexperienced handlers. Owners that have had prior experience "statistically" do better maintaining a healthy and long-living chameleon. Seems as though this article, like most, are based on statistics.

Chameleons are great pets for the person who is dedicated to having a "chameleon". They are not so good for the person who just wants a cool pet. There is enough information out there (and here) that a beginner could be very successful with a chameleon. Just go to Kammerflage and you can snag a complete beginners kit and a lifetime of handholding. Find these forums and you get a flood of knowledge and people who will help you through each and every step of the process. Chameleons really aren't that hard when you set them up and take care of them as they require. The trick, of course, is hooking up with the right group to give you the right information. Anyone really looking will find it easily.
Generalized care sheets like this make me squirm with their wide sweeping statements, but a lot of it is correct. And if a care sheet like this is as far as someone will go in their research on keeping a chameleon then they are wanting a cool pet, not specifically a chameleon. I am fine with those people being sent in another direction because they will be much happier with something that is easier to take care of. I suspect that few will argue that just the hydration requirements of chameleons raise them to a different level of dedication. Not intelligence or experience, but dedication. Dedicated noobs will find an enjoyable world ahead of them.

Chameleons are great pets for the person who is dedicated to having a "chameleon". They are not so good for the person who just wants a cool pet. There is enough information out there (and here) that a beginner could be very successful with a chameleon. Just go to Kammerflage and you can snag a complete beginners kit and a lifetime of handholding. Find these forums and you get a flood of knowledge and people who will help you through each and every step of the process. Chameleons really aren't that hard when you set them up and take care of them as they require. The trick, of course, is hooking up with the right group to give you the right information. Anyone really looking will find it easily.
Generalized care sheets like this make me squirm with their wide sweeping statements, but a lot of it is correct. And if a care sheet like this is as far as someone will go in their research on keeping a chameleon then they are wanting a cool pet, not specifically a chameleon. I am fine with those people being sent in another direction because they will be much happier with something that is easier to take care of. I suspect that few will argue that just the hydration requirements of chameleons raise them to a different level of dedication. Not intelligence or experience, but dedication. Dedicated noobs will find an enjoyable world ahead of them.

Very well stated, I agree

I'd say that for every pet I've ever owned that the more research I've done, the more I realized I didn't know! :rolleyes: The difference with chameleons (in general) is that if you just go by the pet store or breeder basics you are in for some expensive and eye-opening surprises. With many animals the lack of ideal husbandry may not even be apparent, but with chameleons it can be devastating.

So, no, I don't fully agree with the article, but it is a good eye-opener for a newcomer to hopefully do more research prior to purchase. (By the way, had I read it, my first post on the forums would not have been about my new chameleon burying himself under his substrate :eek: I would have done more research and avoided certain things ;))

Very well stated, I agree

Having been asked to write a few of these "broad sweeping" type articles myself, I also agree. I would much rather skew the article in order to discourage those who won't look into it further. If someone who is exploring potential pets reads it and is skeptical, they are most likely going to keep reading...and will probably find out what they need to know to make their decision about keeping a cham. If they are not skeptical about the article they won't read further and mentally check a cham off their list. So, that's the sort of keeper who would probably not do well with a cham anyway.

If someone asked me to critique this article before it was published I would probably advise the author that it's best to avoid those absolutes such as

NEVER and ALWAYS

I basically agree. Chameleons are not "difficult" so long as their care requirements are met. So long as the owner is properly informed and prepared, I don't think a chameleon can't be a "first" reptile.

Back
Top Bottom