Do they really need bot calcium with and w/o D3

Mnm6282

I just got a pair of panther chameleons. I know to give them vitamins but do they really need both calciums? They are about 4 months old.

Yes they really do. Calcium with d3 supplements caclium of course but also mimics the vitamin that is absorbed from the sun that isn't absorbed under uvb lighting. And you can't use calcium with d3 eveytime because then there will be an overdose of d3 and can cause organ failure and numerous other problems but they need calcium every other feeding so it can not be skipped. So that is why you need the regular calcium to use in between doses of the needed d3. I highly recommend to spend the extra 5 bucks and get the other calcium.

Last edited:
Also before you learn the hard way, if you plan on cutting corners trust me, your chameleons will get sick and probably die. Do not take the easy, fast, cheap way out with your chamelens. Do everything proper and by the books and you will be very happy with the results.
Best of luck!

Welcome to the forum!

Well, look at your multivitamin - does it contain vitamin D3? If it does, then you don't really need a calcium with D3 in it as well, the multivitamin should take care of that.

But the one that is most important is the plain calcium with nothing else added in. This is the one you want to use at every feeding.

So if you have a plain calcium and then a multivitamin with D3 in it, you should be in good shape. But check the back of the vit container, it should list what it contains.

Welcome to the forum!

Well, look at your multivitamin - does it contain vitamin D3? If it does, then you don't really need a calcium with D3 in it as well, the multivitamin should take care of that.

But the one that is most important is the plain calcium with nothing else added in. This is the one you want to use at every feeding.

So if you have a plain calcium and then a multivitamin with D3 in it, you should be in good shape. But check the back of the vit container, it should list what it contains.

O good point I didn't even think if the multi. vit. could have the d3 in it.

...But the one that is most important is the plain calcium with nothing else added in. This is the one you want to use at every feeding.

its okay if it has other useful minerals, you just don't want phosphorous or vitamins in your "plain" calcium.

If your chameleon lives outside in the sun, you need a lot less D3 than if its inside.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have some spray calcium that u spray food with but now I've heard some not so positive opinions about that. I'm going to find me some plain calcium to use.

Back
Top Bottom