Do these colors on my female mean something...

ColorbyChameleon

Do these colors on my 11 month old Panther Ambilobe female mean anything other then quit messing with my stuff lol. She has a touch of blue behind her eyes also!

I had a laying box in her cage but did not have sand in it. I was putting it back in her cage and cleaning it after correcting my sand/eco earth mistake. I have noticed her at the bottom of her cage for the past week and she really isn't eating as normal.

Just wondering if this means she is about to lay eggs or not. I have not bred her as I am waiting until 1 year and for her to at least lay one batch of eggs before even thinking about it.

Thanks!

IMG_3281.jpg

Guess it would of helped if I attached the picture :D

Her head pads look pretty sunken in. Usually it means she is either underweight, dehydrated, or both. Do they always look like that?

Her head pads look pretty sunken in. Usually it means she is either underweight, dehydrated, or both. Do they always look like that?

Which part is that? Would it be the spot between her eyes?

I know she is getting plenty of water she will sit right under the dripper and drink every day but she has always been a picky eater eating some crickets and never interested in worms. I usually have to count the crickets to make sure she is eating them.

I will say my other chameleons go after crickets as soon as they go in the cage but she does not but they go away so I know she eats them.

The pads on her casque, behind/above her eyes. Has she been checked for parasites? What kinds of feeders have you tried?

I agree with Kara, it does appear to be sunken in. She also doesn't look like she has her mature colors yet and isn't filling out like a female that is ready to breed/lay would. So, I assume it isn't a laying problem and there is something else that isn't right.

I will make an appt first thing next week :(

I am going to try smaller crickets also she eats them but they are the large so maybe that is a problem. I see her eating them though but like I said she doesn't go right after them like everyone else does.

I will make an appt first thing next week :(

I am going to try smaller crickets also she eats them but they are the large so maybe that is a problem. I see her eating them though but like I said she doesn't go right after them like everyone else does.

If she does have a parasite she may still eat but will still loose weight and look thin. Some chams loose their appetite and some do not.

Don't wait too long to get her looked at. If she's sitting low in her cage and with her head pads sunken like that I'm concerned for her.

In he meantime please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum.

Agreed. She looks underweight and dehydrated whats her staple feeder? And whats her basking spot temps? What are you gut loading with?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Ambilobe female panther
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once a day in the evening
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Main: crickets dusted with rephasy calcium plus and reptocal d3-- will eat but no enthusiastically like my others. Also feed mealworms & hornworms but never interested. Greens, carrots & fluckers food for gut loading
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rephasy calcium plus 2X month repto cal other times
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes she is very good at drinking slow drip thru out the day and once in the evening I will turn up the drip.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Recent droppings were a little yellowish about month ago but have been white as of late. Making appt for vet to test for parasites
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.No I bought her at a Repticon show beginning of Sept.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 16X16X36 reptiscreen
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ZooMed 5.0 UVB and zoo med 60 watt heat
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 89 at basking not sure about bottom but house temp is 78
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Have gauge 60% humidity. Bottle spray thru out the day and have shower curtain on sides & back
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live shefflera (spelled wrong)
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?She is in our computer room low activity
Location - Where are you geographically located? maryland

Current Problem - Sunken pads? Is a very picky eater but drinks very well. I will be making a vet appt on Monday to test for overall health and parasites.

Ok I posted everything in previous post.

Please if anyone see's something I should do differently please let me know. I have 2 Veileds and a male panther and everyone else is doing really well with eating and drinking. She has always been a bit shy but I guess I should of known that there was something wrong and I will learn from it.

I put in smaller hornworms in her cup and she actually came up to it and I thought she would take it only to just walk away I just don't understand. She did snag some crickets but my others just tear them up when they are fed.

I will call the vet first thing in the morning :(

Here's my take: Mostly everything sounds pretty standard. I use Repashy Calc Plus at every dusting. The d3 is very, very low so it is not ever too much. I don't like Flukers for chams. It isn't as beneficial as one may think. Why not use Repashy Bug Burger and or Superload Gutload Formula?
House temp is 78f? That sounds awfully hot. Is it a digital humidity gage? If not, it isn't accurate.
How high from the floor is the top? You should set the cage on a 2 to 4 foot high base so the top is above your head to make them feel more secure.
Misting should be for a couple of minutes each about 4-5 times during daylight hours. A mister on a timer would help.
Get some ReptAid and give the lowest dose you can (about 2 ml/cc) monthly to help prevent parasites. See your vet asap.

Here's my take: Mostly everything sounds pretty standard. I use Repashy Calc Plus at every dusting. The d3 is very, very low so it is not ever too much. I don't like Flukers for chams. It isn't as beneficial as one may think. Why not use Repashy Bug Burger and or Superload Gutload Formula?
House temp is 78f? That sounds awfully hot. Is it a digital humidity gage? If not, it isn't accurate.
How high from the floor is the top? You should set the cage on a 2 to 4 foot high base so the top is above your head to make them feel more secure.
Misting should be for a couple of minutes each about 4-5 times during daylight hours. A mister on a timer would help.
Get some ReptAid and give the lowest dose you can (about 2 ml/cc) monthly to help prevent parasites. See your vet asap.

Thanks a lot! I can get the bug burger and yes I believe our house temp at 78 is to hot... a conversation I have daily with the hubs!

We just bought a long desk to set them up a long a wall in a different room which is usually a little bit cooler and will put their cage tops above my head. I have a monsoon for my 2 veileds and am either going to split it to 4 or just get another since it may loose some when splitting.

Also will be calling vet in the am

Thanks everyone for your advice and look forward to getting my baby better. Any other advice is certainly welcomed. I have learned so much on this site and am very thankful that everyone seems to care about everyone's chams as they are their own

So I am not sure if I should feel like an idiot or what but I am going to tell you guys what I found out today.

First thing I took Esvee to the vet today it was the "reptile" vet at my local vets office that seen her and she seemed to know her stuff. They had me bring a poo sample and she checked out good on the parasites test. So that was a relief then we moved on to my concerns and the info I took from these post.

She agreed that she looked to be a bit malnourished and we went through everything I feed her. Her advice was to find what she likes and my options. I did tell her about feeding her large crickets I give my other Chams and she said she thought it was a good idea to try the smaller crickets.....

I came home with 20 small crickets and as soon as I put them in the cage she hunted them down and ate them up well like she had not eaten lately :eek:

I really don't know what to say I have had pets forever but when I first got her she was eating the large crickets but I guess I should of realized it when she was not going right for them. I will do better by my girl and not just assume she is being picky or wanting to lay some eggs

Thanks everyone for your advice as I was able to get her checked out and on the road back to good health. I will be ordering some different feeders Dubois, silkworms etc to find what she likes as well as bringing home some small crickets!

I can tell you really care about your chameleons so don't feel bad. You did everything right in noticing something being off and taking the steps to fix it.

Glad to hear she is eating much better and will be back to full health soon!

Back
Top Bottom