Do superworms smell?

JuniorC

Avid Member
Ordered 100 small supers for my first time to add as a treat every now and then. I read you can keep them in what they come for substrate and container. Will this be fine and main question do superworms start to smell?

Ordered 100 small supers for my first time to add as a treat every now and then. I read you can keep them in what they come for substrate and container. Will this be fine and main question do superworms start to smell?
I’ve never used superworms, I’ve barely purchased some but if you go to YouTube and search Neptune the Chameleon she has a video on smelly bugs and bugs in general :)

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q

I put oats in my superworms container and that seems to block out any sort of strong smell. Not enough to be absolutely sickening.

They never really smelled to me. If the substrate gets wet or moldy (which both do smell), it should be replaced immediately, anyway

Great thanks and what about as far as feeding them?
I put one baby carrot in the container and replaced as needed. When I was going to feed them off, I placed the ones I‘d be using in a separate container with no substrate and good gutload overnight beforehand

I raise mine in open containers with wheat bran as a substrate. No need to feed or water as they eat the wheat bran. Keep them all together and they will last a looooong time. Separate and they will turn into beetles 🐜
They don't stink😉

I usually don’t like the substrate they come in, which is typically a bran product and high in phytic acid. I dump that substrate and replace it with alfalfa for rabbits. Add a carrot and you have an edible substrate that supplies all of their needs and keeps them hydrated. And no, only dead superworms stink.

Back
Top Bottom