do people think you are weird

veiled

so i just got home from work and wanted to share my experience i've had for many years at my job(and with some friends) i've been a busy hairstylist for 15 years with a big clientel. well i try to keep my personal life out of work. (mostly we talk about THEIR personal life HAHA) but sometimes i cant help talk about my new chameleon. i always get the same reaction. now keep in mind most of my clients are buisiness women. they give me a weird look and say "but, youre so pretty?" lol. like only an ugly hag would like a lizzard???? its so funny to see their faces when i answer their questions about what they eat. so do people think you are weird? do people at your jobs know about your chams and what do they think?

Lmao I know that look very well! Yes everyone thinks Im nuts lol

They just dont understand how cool I really am:p

I have a couple of people at work that turn their noses up and don't understand, but most are curious. In fact, one colleague was so interested in my cresties that she considered getting one for her son - they came to visit and loved the chams and cresties, but decided to get a beardie to start with. I am now looking forward to beardie sitting when they go away!:D I find a lot of people are ok until they ask what they eat, lol! They don't want to know any more once the crickets, etc get a mention!

I get that all the time... Mainly by people that don't know what one is.. I am only a sophomore in high school so I just shrug it off. Other people are always asking me about them and are fascinated by them.

I teach high school kids, and yes, they think I am weird and crazy (well, maybe that comes with teaching science). Even some of my colleagues think I am out of my minds. It does not bother me at all, I don't care what others think of me. I am very happy with the way I am. The last thing I want is to be "normal" like everyone else.

My parents think I'm insane. I'm twenty and apparently having a chameleon means I'm avoiding men?

I refuse to tell them how much I actually spent/spend on him haha.

My coworkers are mostly polite or even interested in my hobby. I work at a community college, so likely many curious open-minds choose to work there :)
Many think my interest in cockroaches is far stranger than keeping reptiles

Most of my friends think it's cool, a few of my close friends are into reptiles. My family members think it's cooll, except for one who has some actual mental illness issues with extreme paranoia, who despite being informed they are both CB, is convinced they are WC and carying mysterious "foreign diseases" and that we might all die, and that they "exude a poisonous urine through their skin when touched" which "burns the flesh and can kill you". She found out I fed my chameleons roaches weeks after it happened and proceeded to have a panic attack, saying she could never come back to the house because we were now "infested" with "bacteria" even though none of the roaches got loose and were all quite dead by this point!

I guess with her in the family my weirdness has really paled in comparison. Some people do think it's a little "funny" how much time I spend doting on their care or working on a new cage setup and things like that, haha.

I've heard people in general, however, make disparaging remarks about people who own lots of reptiles or are into them. Usually moreso about snake owners and such, since I guess chameleons are kindof like a cool novelty item, but many people view snakes as dangerous/pests, and can't FATHOM who on earth would want to own one.

I never understood people interested in reptiles until my son wanted a Jackson's. Long story short, I ended up taking over and now have ordered my 3rd chameleon! These creatures are amazing and so interesting - people don't understand that you don't have to 'cuddle' a pet in order to feel connected to it or fascinated by it. I have lots of other animals but my chams are magical to me. They really are like potato chips - you can't have just one! Nonbelievers won't ever get it unless they actually spend some time watching the chams in their habitat. I can lose track of time doing that (and I love my cable tv!).

my boss is a major d**k when it comes to me and my lizards. he almost fired me because i had to bring kiwi in to the vets for x-rays to make sure she passed all of her eggs.

"you care more about these stupid damn shameleons than you do you're (minimum wage no benefits dead end) job"

:mad:

my boss is a major d**k when it comes to me and my lizards. he almost fired me because i had to bring kiwi in to the vets for x-rays to make sure she passed all of her eggs.

"you care more about these stupid damn shameleons than you do you're (minimum wage no benefits dead end) job"

:mad:
Well duhh on that one, id deffinately care more about my cham then my job(even though I need the job to pay for stuff she needs). You shoulda asked your boss if he cared about his job more than his family members cuz that's how I think of my lizards :)

i get aggrivated because no one understands these amazing creatures unless you actually get to spend time with them i can sit around and stare at my chameleons all day! without a problem!

I get stupid reactions all of the time like that :eek: I changed my kid cousins mind about Chameleons anyway (she thought I had the anole like lizards that run around FL ). I just dropped her off at the train station (going back to MD to college) and she thanked me for teaching her about my special friends!:cool:

Most people are amazed when they see my Romeo in person! My sister-in-law thought chameleons were all green and real tiny She could not get over his size and coloring. Alot of people that come to my house are totally creeped out by the worms and moths and stuff and I get alot of "ewwws"!!! :eek:

People know I am weird, so it doesn't phase them much when they learn about my Chameleons , frogs or Roach Colonies. Most just comment on how beautiful they are (I carry pictures).

Oh gosh yes... I'm the crazy chick with LOTS of piercings, tattoos, reptiles, snakes, tarantulas, geckos, and lets not forget about my 3 roach colonies. Lol! As many of you have said I usually just shrug it off but it does sometimes bother me. A few days ago acutally while I was at work, I saw this cute little toad tucked away in a hole. I saw him and coaxed him out onto my hand, he was the sweetest little thing. I was SOOOOO excited and felt like a little girl at a candy store. I quickly ran up to my supervisor and contracter and showed them the toad, they gave me the strangest "WTF?" look! I put my head down and slowly walked away. :( It was a horrible feeling and felt like such a douch. Then I remembered that not everyone loved animals as much as I did especially warty toads.

Having a chameleon is just one of the many reasons people think I'm weird. The nice thing about having been a total geek in school is I'm accustomed to getting that strange sort of sympathetic look one might give someone who's mentally deranged.

Back
Top Bottom