Do nails grow back

Fintalian

So I noticed today that one of my veiled chameleon front nail was very loose and looks like it’s about to come off. Now if it dose will it grow back? Plz help. Thanks.

Attachments

• 6F0B495A-824B-4CDA-89DC-7B296EB2D65D.jpeg
    6F0B495A-824B-4CDA-89DC-7B296EB2D65D.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 171
So I noticed today that one of my veiled chameleon front nail was very loose and looks like it’s about to come off. Now if it dose will it grow back? Plz help. Thanks.
Only if there is no damage to the nail bed. It looks like yours caught its nail pretty badly. Is it a female? They can suffer damage when they are digging. It is pretty common to damage them if they are screen climbing as well. My male lost one when he was about 6 months old screen climbing, it has been a year and he just now has a tiny nub trying to grow back out.

You will want to watch that toe though. In my opinion looking at the picture it looks like that could be an infection risk.

Agree with @Beman, my Cham lost 4 nails 3 are coming back. One was punctured and bleeding and my vet recommended silver sulfadiazine cream. Clean it the best you can and try to get some cream. I put it on twice a day but had better luck at night while he was sleeping.

Agree with @Beman, my Cham lost 4 nails 3 are coming back. One was punctured and bleeding and my vet recommended silver sulfadiazine cream. Clean it the best you can and try to get some cream. I put it on twice a day but had better luck at night while he was sleeping.
Jan my sweets! You taught me something new today! I did not know that sulfadiazine could be used for this too! I thought it was just with burns. Thanks hun!

I didn’t know either lol! My vet did surgery on my turtle and prescribed it for him. He asked me if I had extra and told me to use it so I did and it worked :LOL:

Jan my sweets! You taught me something new today! I did not know that sulfadiazine could be used for this too! I thought it was just with burns. Thanks hun!

Silver sulphadiazine can be used on most skin lesions - I used it for a solid month or more with Lily! It has great antibacterial properties, and helps prevent infection/speed healing. :)

Silver sulphadiazine can be used on most skin lesions - I used it for a solid month or more with Lily! It has great antibacterial properties, and helps prevent infection/speed healing. :)
I had no idea... I thought it was just a burn ointment lol. I gotta say I absolutely love this forum for this reason. I love to learn new bits of info!

I was gifted a Male Veiled Chameleon from a fellow member here.
I had noticed that he stumbles sometimes when he climbs and has also fallen. Then I realized that he is missing the claws from one side of his left front foot. Maybe a burn or something? He has issues grasping larger diameter branches and smoother surfaces. So I swapped out everything with smaller branches and vines and rougher things and he seems to be able to get around easier. Grasp with more confidence.
I was also wondering if the claws grew back.
Even so, you can make life easier for your Chameleon with missing claws by using rougher and smaller diameter climbing articles

I think that the nail got caught on something. Do you have anything in your cage that could make that possible. (Besides the netting of course) :)

dont worry, it happens to some, just make sure it doesnt get infected and you'll be ok for now just make sure there are a lot of smaller width/diameter climbing pieces like @ZEROPILOT said, it will help her grip on things
So this is what her cage looks right now. Would this be fine?

Attachments

• C9792266-7328-405A-8EC7-FBBD2EABB1CE.jpeg
    C9792266-7328-405A-8EC7-FBBD2EABB1CE.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 114
Also, make sure that there are a few transitional branches from branch to branch to encourage only climbing on the branches and discourage using the screen to climb to the next one.

Back
Top Bottom