Do Jacksons like water or eat?

astroprojector

For all the talk that Jackson need more water than other cham species it may not be true for the one I have. Every time ha gets sprayed, he runs from the water and turns dark green color. I scheduled the last spaying session to be at 5:30pm and during it he closes his eyes and opens them the next day.

He also a very, very, very picky eater. before he would it 5 crickets everyday. I bought him horn worms and had to throw them a way after a while because he only at 3 or 4. Now I stopped feeding him the crickets and bough medium silk worms and large superworms. I am afraid that silk worms will go of the way of the horn worms. In the past week he only ate half of a silk worm. Now he only eats one superworm a day.

Is this normal for Jackson.

Is this an adult animal?
He only needs to eat 3 to 5 feeders every 2 to 3 days.
Many chameleons do not enjoy being sprayed, this does not mean that their hydration requirements are less.

-Brad

Jackson like more humidity than most other chameleons. If they are exposed to prolonged mistings they will tend to gravitate to the water. When mosters first go on, it somtimes scares them a bit. So if your mistings are a short duration, you may not see it going to seek out the water. He will probably drink after the misters are off. Sometimes it takes a few minutes of the misters going on before they start to drink.
Jacksons don't eat nearly as much as panthers or veileds. The amount of food would be dependent on the age of your cham, the temperature of the en losure and the health of the cham.

For all the talk that Jackson need more water than other cham species it may not be true for the one I have. Every time ha gets sprayed, he runs from the water and turns dark green color. I scheduled the last spaying session to be at 5:30pm and during it he closes his eyes and opens them the next day.

He also a very, very, very picky eater. before he would it 5 crickets everyday. I bought him horn worms and had to throw them a way after a while because he only at 3 or 4. Now I stopped feeding him the crickets and bough medium silk worms and large superworms. I am afraid that silk worms will go of the way of the horn worms. In the past week he only ate half of a silk worm. Now he only eats one superworm a day.

Sounds pretty normal to me. In the wild the cham would probably hide in foliage during rain (ie spraying) and drink later from all the droplets. The relative air humidity is what they need, and frequent warm rain provides that. Many montane species such as jackson's have a slower metabolism than a panther or veiled and don't eat nearly as much. They would be eating many smaller insects during a typical day than a few large fat feeders we provide. So, gutload your feeders well, don't overdo the supplements, and you won't have to worry about exactly how many he eats a day. I like to offer a fairly large meal one day and just a "snack" the next.

Agreed,
Sounds normal, mine will turn under a branch when misting starts. I use a drip over a bunch of hanging leaves he usually drinks from - sometimes right at the tube. This drips all through the day so he can drink at his leasure. No worry bout the humidity here in Hawaii, so don't often mist the cage. Haven't feed worms, just crickets and other insects. He younger and is still growing so will eat 3 small-med crickets a day.
Koshi

Back
Top Bottom