Do i need to go to the vet asap?

cewhitlock1

Okay so im gonna start by saying he (male veiled age 5.5 months) is NOT getting enough supplement and that will be adjusted as soon as i pick up the right ones (only had d3)

this is what has happened...

monday night- he was grasping my shirt and when i went to move him before i stood up he hissed and wiggled then fell onto my elbow so i scooped him into my hand and he started thrashing, tossing his head back trying to bite his back legs and bit me in the process. i put him down on the floor so i could answer a text or something and he started walking away using his front legs and back left normally but was dragging his back right leg, so i thought oh crap i squished him and broke his leg or his hip and put him in his cage and he was walking and climbing as if nothing had happened

tuesday- acted normally all day then started the thrashing bit again but gripped his front left leg with his back left leg, hissing all the while, then pushed out a normally colored urate followed by a very large poop which took a feel minutes and some cage climbing to get all the way out. when i looked closer at the poo it had a something in it.. so i dissected it and found a quarter inch square of green card stock paper and a wad of hair(he escaped for a few hours on sunday). after all of that he was climbing okay but still seemed to be avoiding using the back right leg very much

today- we were sitting out in the sun getting him some rays a when he started the same thing again, thrashing hissing and grabbing his front leg with his back, then pushed out a urate followed by a large poop (though much closer to normal sized than before). so after he went to the bathroom i put him in his cage for some down time because the sun was going down. he was gripping well all day but then after his BM he was only using his front legs for climbing for about 10 minutes then slowly started using his back legs again though very slowly and it looked like he was kind of in pain

before each time he had a bm i could feel his stomach vibrate and he went into rage-mode. his tail and back legs are discolored (could this be an issue with blood flow from the foreign object pushing against the vessels?)

is this all just from the foreign object blockage or is it mbd on top of it, like i said he hasnt been well supplemented for about a month. if you get near him he goes into rage mode and currently able to climb but his back legs arent fully gripping (he is trying but his back legs are shaky when gripping) after he has a bm but during the day leading up to it his grip looks normal

posting pics in a moment

Poor little guy. All of that sounds just awful. I can't imagine what it could be unless maybe over supplementing with the vitamin D and that's a wild guess. I would take him to a vet with allot of chameleon experience. One of our long time senior members here lives in MD and drives a ways to see this vet for his Parsonii and other species. I sure hope that precious little angel will be ok. Be sure to take some fresh poop for a fecal when you go.

Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services
4105 Rust Rd.
Fairfax VA.22030
703 281 3750

Poor little guy. All of that sounds just awful. I can't imagine what it could be unless maybe over supplementing with the vitamin D and that's a wild guess. I would take him to a vet with allot of chameleon experience. One of our long time senior members here lives in MD and drives a ways to see this vet for his Parsonii and other species. I sure hope that precious little angel will be ok. Be sure to take some fresh poop for a fecal when you go.

Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services
4105 Rust Rd.
Fairfax VA.22030
703 281 3750

its deff not over supplementing, i've been really bad about remembering to dust, which is why im thinking mbd, but there was the blockage that very well could have pushed on something to mess him up (like the sciatic nerve)... im about 20 minutes from feathers scales and tails and thats the closest exotics vet i can think of.. good thing i get paid tomorrow :-/

Can I ask where he got the green card stock paper from? Do you have it in your cage or something. And where on earth would he got the hair from??? edit: ok, I see that he got out.

Last edited:
its deff not over supplementing, i've been really bad about remembering to dust, which is why im thinking mbd, but there was the blockage that very well could have pushed on something to mess him up (like the sciatic nerve)... im about 20 minutes from feathers scales and tails and thats the closest exotics vet i can think of.. good thing i get paid tomorrow :-/

You are not looking for close. You need a vet with allot of chameleon experience.

You are not looking for close. You need a vet with allot of chameleon experience.

i know =[ its just hard since i dont have a car right now and i dont know anyone who would drive that far for him.. poor baby looks miserable.. he's sleeping on the branch i put him on after taking pics of his limbs and he's finally showing his relaxed colors for the first time in about 5 hours

there is a vet in laurel

Lakeside Veterinary Center, LLC
8693 Cherry Lane
Laurel, MD 20707
(301)498-8387

much closer for you

now i have called and asked them before to make sure they have had cham experience but i have yet to have had a reason to go

i would toss them a call in the AM

now i have called and asked them before to make sure they have had cham experience but i have yet to have had a reason to go

thanks i'm gonna call as soon as i wake up tomorrow.. i feel like such a bad chammommy and pretty stupid for not supplementing properly.. but i guess whats done is done and now i just have to get him the help he needs

Update

Heres a quick update before i go to work.. Bennie is improving!! He is using his back legs more an his grip seems to be getting stronger though there may be some long term nerve damage, only time will tell. He is now hunting his dusted crickets instead of waiting for them to get really close to him. I have him in a smaller sort of hospital set up with wider perches and a shorter drop in case of falls. Ive also bee giving him smaller meals more frequently so i can easily keep track of what hes eating

One of our lasting senior members here lives in MD and drives a ways that to examine this vet for his Parsonii and different species. I certain hope that precious very little angel are going to be ok. make certain to require some contemporary poop for a faecal after you go.

Back
Top Bottom