Do I need a mister?

ausbork

I live in Northern California and the humidity in the room where my veiled chameleon is has about 50% humidity without any misting or dripping. I currently have a mister but when I use it it completely soaks everything and it’s just a bit hassle. I was wondering if I really need this mister or if I could just hand spray the cage 1-2 times a day and get a dripper instead.

50 Percent humidity is actually a bit more than veiled's need during the day, they only need 30-40, and 70-100 at night. But they do need at least 2 mistings a day for at least 2-3 minutes to trigger a drinking response. If you have proper drainage, a wet cage shouldn't be a hassle and should dry out with 2-3 hours.

You are a brand new member, how about we take a look at your husbandry for your little guy? Im assuming this is your first chameleon?

Fill out this form if you could! :D Please be very specific and answer every question, don't skip anything! Make sure to include multiple pictures of your chameleon and his/her setup.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I live in Ontario Canada and have used a hand mister and dripper for many years. I'm kind of old fashioned about a lot of chameleon care. You should see my incubator! :)

Back
Top Bottom