Do Chams need a dripper/sprayer?

sticky2010

So yea, I have been spraying my chameleon twice a day since I got him in June (he looked miserable if you can tell from the old photos, awful shedding, weak limbs, bad color). Around July, after I feed him well and placed him in a new and improved cage, he began throwing fits. Every time I would bring my spray jag over, he blows himself up and greatly brightens his colors.
I figured that he does not like showers, so I stopped watering him period. I suppose the only water he consumes is from the Hibiscus>Ficus>sheffleria>insects.
So now its end of October and he is still alive and doing well. No signs of sicknesses, bright colors, very active and has great appetite! He was even eating bees when he ran away and was sitting on the Lemon Tree.
So do Chameleons really need drippers or misting systems?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 467
Yes they do they like to lick the water off the leaves they can only see running water so that's why you mist them or use drippers because it simulates running water which is like rain falling in their natural habitat.. Even if you don't see them drink they still do. That's why people use drippers because it allowed them to drink when they find it convenient. Just because he isn't sick doesn't mean he wont become ill later :).

Edit Also males are always dominant the reason he puffed up was because he might have seen you as a threat so as a defense mechanism he did that to scare you off. Everything needs water the only thing that I know off that takes in water from a food source is spiders and scorpions they slurp it up thou and make their meals into water. Chameleons on the other hand do need water. Also last thing I forgot misting and drippers help the shedding process if you have a young chameleon.

So you are saying you have not supplied him any water source since July? What does his urate(the white part or should be white part) of his poop look like? It seems impossible that he would be surviving without water.

Yes, they really do need to have water, a dripper or misting being the two most appropriate methods of providing that water. You should try a dripper rather than spraying at the chameleon (most of them do not like to have the spray hit them directly, so its not a suprise that he would react to your doing that before). Although he is so far surviving on the liquids he gets from plant matter and insects, it is unlikely to be sufficient and he will eventually suffer from lack of water. Please do start providing water right away. Again, a dripper probably being your best option.

Everything needs water the only thing that I know off that takes in water from a food source is spiders and scorpions they slurp it up thou and make their meals into water.

Actually, quite a few desert rodents, reptiles, and birds drink NO water. For example, kangaroo rats metabolize water from the carbohydrates in seeds. I keep blue crowned motmots (a Peruvian bird) and I have never seen them drink or bathe in the 2 years I've had them. I mist them to help them groom and they occasionally swallow droplets off their face or plumage.

Actually, quite a few desert rodents, reptiles, and birds drink NO water. For example, kangaroo rats metabolize water from the carbohydrates in seeds. I keep blue crowned motmots (a Peruvian bird) and I have never seen them drink or bathe in the 2 years I've had them. I mist them to help them groom and they occasionally swallow droplets off their face or plumage.

Oh that's fascinating guess I'm wrong again :D yea kangaroo rats huh? Also what is in your avatar? A frog? I guess its just body conditioning over hundreds of years that allow them to do that.

Oh that's fascinating guess I'm wrong again :D yea kangaroo rats huh? Also what is in your avatar? A frog? I guess its just body conditioning over hundreds of years that allow them to do that.

The avatar pic is a Malaysian leaf frog...one of my "other" addictions. I have 4:3 LTC. I've had kangaroo rats off and on over the years. Really cool little guys.

So you are saying you have not supplied him any water source since July? What does his urate(the white part or should be white part) of his poop look like? It seems impossible that he would be surviving without water.

Yep, sprayed him once when I put the cage outside. I try to just get the water on the leaves, rather than spraying the chameleon. And yes there are white turds down at the bottom.
I read the article from the other response, and took a look at his poop. The white turds seem to have orange crystal like ends. So I am assuming I should spray him once in a while, here are photos. Is the poop supposed to be 100% white all the way around?

Attachments

• poop.JPG
    poop.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Yep, sprayed him once when I put the cage outside. I try to just get the water on the leaves, rather than spraying the chameleon.

Oh well then you ARE providing water. He will drink the droplets off the leaves. If the urate is orange, you'll want to wet the leaves more often, or spray for a longer durations, or add a dripper (which is what my chameleons mostly get their water from)

They dont need a dripper/ sprayer, if you talking about an automatic one. You can mist with a bottle about 2-3 times a day.

Oh gosh, so you were saying that you just don't "mist him" but are misting the leaves! Ok, now I feel better!!!!

Mine seem to loathe misting. They get most of their water from drippers, and I give them the option to be misted, but none of them ever come close to walking towards the mist. I put some saline solution in their eyes to let them clean them. They seem to like it better than plain water. (I would too! Plain water stings my eyes.)

They dont need a dripper/ sprayer, if you talking about an automatic one. You can mist with a bottle about 2-3 times a day.

I think most people do the whole "Hole in a plastic cup thing" instead of like a MistKing (not that those aren't good, just a luxury I think, lol)

Our guy used to hate misting but we started making the water warmer and he doesn't mind it now. Obviously not boiling but you get the idea.

Oh gosh, so you were saying that you just don't "mist him" but are misting the leaves! Ok, now I feel better!!!!

Nooooo.... Thats the thing, i stoped spraying leaves. I just watered the plants near the soil. since july I sprayed him once when he was outside, prety much sprayed the entire cage.

Yep, sprayed him once when I put the cage outside. I try to just get the water on the leaves, rather than spraying the chameleon. And yes there are white turds down at the bottom.
I read the article from the other response, and took a look at his poop. The white turds seem to have orange crystal like ends. So I am assuming I should spray him once in a while, here are photos. Is the poop supposed to be 100% white all the way around?

the white part is his urates(pee)..and the dark brown part is hhis poop...the urates should b white all around...but sometimes you may get the occasional yellow ..if it is orange/yellow then he is seriously dehydrated...

Although, as was mentioned there are some reptiles that don't need to have water provided for them, chameleons are not one of them. IMHO you should be misting the cage and/or using a dripper at least once a day. If you don't your chameleon might end up with health issues.

"In secondary gout, the high level is due to the inability of the kidneys to adequately excrete the uric acid. This can be caused by medications, chronic diseases, kidney disease, starvation, improper diet, decreased water intake or chronic dehydration, and other environmental factors which affect the kidneys' ability to eliminate uric acid."...
http://www.rattlingthecages.com/#/herptile-diseasesconditions-2/4542948501

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom