Do chams ever get bored?

This is a good question..

Probably not though, since they are solitary animals in the wild. They don't think like we do.

Yeah I don't really think so. As much as I love herps, they are basic and primordial (one of the things I love about them) and there is a very real ceiling on reptile intelligence.

I think they might ... not like we understand bored but I have a couple panthers that leave their free rage together and go looking for trouble. They often go to the cricket and dubia bins and try to break in, other times they go harass the babies (panthers and veileds). They make a lot of noise so I always catch them and they are always adorable and clueless looking but I think they know what they are doing.

Chameleons may not have the same intelligence as mammals but I think people really underestimate them. It becomes more obvious when they are free ranged and they interact with people and other chameleons.

I think they might ... not like we understand bored but I have a couple panthers that leave their free rage together and go looking for trouble. They often go to the cricket and dubia bins and try to break in, other times they go harass the babies (panthers and veileds). They make a lot of noise so I always catch them and they are always adorable and clueless looking but I think they know what they are doing.

Chameleons may not have the same intelligence as mammals but I think people really underestimate them. It becomes more obvious when they are free ranged and they interact with people and other chameleons.

I don't think they get bored at your house! They all live together lol

My panther is always getting into trouble. When he's in the cage, he tries to escape every way possible and when he's on the free range he finds everything else to climb on. I consider it's boredom and figured it's because we have them in 1 cage but in the wild they are free to move wherever.

I don't think they get bored at your house! They all live together lol

true ... and they all plot shenanigans together! I don't get bored either because I am always watching their antics!

(In case any new keepers are reading this - I don't cage them together - they free range. I never recommend caging together. And the females are kept separate as they tend to be moodier unless they are receptive in which case I want to avoid unwanted breeding as I have many that are related.)

Back
Top Bottom