Do chameleons live in the amazon

DaChameleonKing

Avid Member
I'm doing a earth science project about the amazon river and one of the slides is wildlife and I would like to make that slide about chameleons (since I love Chameleons). but I wondered do chameleons live in the Amazon? I would think so because it's a tropical rain forrest and chameleons live in tropical elements.

I would imagine that the report is supposed to reflect information about indigenous species!

But the amazon would be a whole lot cooler if there were chameleons, LOL!!

The amazon has plenty of cool zoology to make up for it, though, so you shouldn't feel cheated. Glass frogs, the infamous candiru, giant arapaima, botflies... so many crazy things to choose from.

I'm doing a earth science project about the amazon river and one of the slides is wildlife and I would like to make that slide about chameleons (since I love Chameleons). but I wondered do chameleons live in the Amazon? I would think so because it's a tropical rain forrest and chameleons live in tropical elements.

Chams originated either on the African continent or on Madagascar. They would have had no way to reach S. America except by floating debris (but its a very loooong way!), or from a human introduction. Just because a continent happens to have a similar climate doesn't mean the species will automatically occur there. The majority of Madagascar is not rainforest actually. Much of it is dry and hot. Continental drift determines where most species are found. Now there are many wonderful species native to the Amazon that show the diversity of coloration and form that chams do...such as the poison dart frogs. Or, how about the Amazon tree boas? The many many species of tropical birds? Amazing genetic diversity and beautiful to boot!

I'm sure that chameleons can live in the Amazon...but think of the possible damage they could do to what's already there if the got introduced there. Would it really be worth them living there if we had to lose other species as a result of it??

Back
Top Bottom