Do chameleons kind of space out while pooping?

Phyllischam

My one year old female veiled cham probably eats like 5 mealworms and 3 crickets a day. Today she went to poop and she kind of spaced out? Mouth wide open and eyes closed. It all came out but I was really scared for a second because she seemed to fall limp on her branch. Came back to her senses after, though. Is this normal?

I keep her in a half-screen half-glass enclosure with a mister on during the day. Humidity is about 50-80% throughout the day.

Could you fill out the ask for help form (link in my signature below), please? As well as posting a picture of your enclosure and cham?

Mine have a look of intense concentration that seems to be common to many species across the animal kingdom but what your describing is excessive. A review of your husbandry might reveal something that could help.

First thing to come to mind is the mealworms may be the cause. They have a higher level of chitin than superworms, and therefore should not be used. A 1 year old should have more variety as well - try some hornworms or silk worms, but I think a review of your husbandry should be done as well. Also, at 1 she doesn't have to eat every day and should be eating every other day instead. Feeding females too much will cause larger egg production in them and shorten their lifespans.

Back
Top Bottom