Do any of your chams drink from a dish

antithesis123

I have a cham that's really picky and he really likes to drink water from a dish. I have a mister and I know that it's not advised because of the contaminants that get into water ( I wouldn't advise it to anyone atleast) I'm just wondering if anyone has this same thing going on.

A friend of mine puts an airstone in a water dish for his chams that he's kept for a few years.

I'm just looking for a little input.

Regards
Brian

chameleons are attracted by the movement. still water is almost invisible to them. the air stone method does work but not really favored. its like having a water fountain, just easier to keep an eye on. water should be changed daily, and when feeders drown in it, and if they poop in it.

i dont know.. it doesnt fancy me though.

[if you're using RO water, there shouldnt really be a problem with contaminants.. clean the tank once a week if it makes you feel comfortable

People like it because it is easier for them, not because it is better for their cham. Chameleons drink when it rains and lick dew and rain off leaves. Mine usually catch the drops from under the leaves as they drip.

Please don't serve their water in a dish at the bottom of the cage where feeders can drown and poop. I have drip drip containers in the bottom of my cages to catch water from my drippers. They all have grates over them so my chams can't fall in them or lick the water. Well, the first thing they seem to do is poop in them. The water is never clean.

Keep spraying.

I have a cham that's really picky and he really likes to drink water from a dish.

hi Brian
Basically, your chameleon is seeing the water in the bowl like it would standing water in large drops/pools on a leaf. The main thing is that "rainwater" on leaves is refreshed frequently, so you need to do the same with the bowl. Its not the norm, but so long as you keep the bowl up high in the cage to reduce chance of poop/bugs falling in, change the water twice daily, wash the bowl well daily (boiling water or white vinegar or peroxide), and since the chameleon is already accustomed to it, its okay. You need to still spray some for the sake of eyes and skin and humidity.

I had a Jackson's that used to, at first. I had a bowl thing set up high up in the cage that had a dripper dripping into it and the water would overflow from the bowl in sort of a neat way. He liked drinking from it very much, but I got tired of cleaning it out (I still misted though). Then I changed to giving him really long (minimum 10 minute) showers and he would basically stand with his mouth open facing the nozzle.

It is not common, but so long as you change the water every 2-3 days, its not a problem. Standing water anywhere eventually allows for a bacteria build-up beyond normal parameters. So long as you guard against that by changing the water, all is OK.

As long as the water is clean, is there really an issue ? I get my cham's to drink from a rodent cage bottle haha

I used to use drip cups with catch bowls in the cages below. I remember a number of veileds and an oustalets that learned to drink from the bowls even when the drip cups weren't dripping.

I cant say that I actually like it. But it's what he does. Like I said, I have a mister (mist king) he drinks from that too sometimes. Just often I see him go for a dish I put in there once. I may just take it out though he really drinks a lot from it.

Thanks for the relevant responses from those who posted.

Back
Top Bottom