DIY Screen Enclosure Question

Tihshho

Established Member
I'm currently in the process of getting materials together to build a DIY screen frame enclosure to have aside in the case that my recently picked up T. Xantholophus happens to drop some offspring. She has a little belly to her, but she's not a large female, so I'm hoping she was just well taken care of and is not gravid with developing babies just yet.

My questions are:

1) Should I go with aluminum screen over fiberglass?

2) Has anyone used an insert of any material to close off specific sides to hold in humidity/not allow a mist king to spray outside of the enclosure? I know some people use bamboo curtains, but I'd ideally like to keep all misting within the enclosure.

Good point jacksjill. Made the mistake of using fiberglass screen on my first cricket tote for the ventilation lid.
Guess what???

Hmm, I think I used fiberglass screen for the ventilation of my cricket enclosure.

@Tony_S I hope they don't get too hungry.
You might get by if you used it on the lid and not low on the sides but i always use aluminum.
@Syreptyon wasn't it you that used a vinyl product to replace your screens?

Thanks for the insight everyone!

I do like the window film idea as a temp solution, but I'm looking for something more permanent. I'd like to mount my most King nozzles to the sides near the top corner as to not have to punch holes in screen. Plus I'd like to anchor some stainless steel screws through this media to hold some branches in place. I do like the corrugated plastic idea, but I'm not sure its sturdy enough for the mounting part.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

I do like the window film idea as a temp solution, but I'm looking for something more permanent. I'd like to mount my most King nozzles to the sides near the top corner as to not have to punch holes in screen. Plus I'd like to anchor some stainless steel screws through this media to hold some branches in place. I do like the corrugated plastic idea, but I'm not sure its sturdy enough for the mounting part.

Perhaps you can build a lattice inside of the corrugated plastic or whatever to provide support? Worked wonders for my build, and keeps all of the weight off the mesh while also providing anchoring points. You could still punch holes for the MistKing nozzles this way, too!

Back
Top Bottom