DIY feeder storage

I've seen a lot of people keep their feeders in large totes with screen tops. I've been debating doing the same but my only question is how do you retrieve them when it's time to feed? I feel like just pulling off the whole lid is setting myself up for all the feeders trying to escape, especially crickets.

I've seen a lot of people keep their feeders in large totes with screen tops. I've been debating doing the same but my only question is how do you retrieve them when it's time to feed? I feel like just pulling off the whole lid is setting myself up for all the feeders trying to escape, especially crickets.
You make sure the bin is tall enough and the egg crate is low enough so the crickets can’t jump out. All of my feeders I keep in bins can’t climb, except for the green banana roaches. If your feeders can climb, get a gasket sealed container and line the top 3 inches of the bin with double sided tape, Vaseline, or a bug boundary like from Josh’s Frogs or Sticky Tongue Farms

I concur, however, I have found dubias in spiderwebs, and occasionally in other random places. I don't know if they escape from the enclosures, if I drop one here and there, (I usually notice and pick them right back up).

The other day, I was dumping dubias for our bearded dragon. My kids keep their backpacks under the tank. Yeah, backpack was open and I dropped a big old dubia into my eight year old's backpack. I had to unpack the whole thing. That's my worst nightmare is the other kids finding out we "have roaches" and him becoming a target. Last thing I need to do is send them in hitch hiking.

I concur, however, I have found dubias in spiderwebs, and occasionally in other random places. I don't know if they escape from the enclosures, if I drop one here and there, (I usually notice and pick them right back up).

The other day, I was dumping dubias for our bearded dragon. My kids keep their backpacks under the tank. Yeah, backpack was open and I dropped a big old dubia into my eight year old's backpack. I had to unpack the whole thing. That's my worst nightmare is the other kids finding out we "have roaches" and him becoming a target. Last thing I need to do is send them in hitch hiking.
My cat loves to eat any crickets I drop that escape me, I make sure the roaches don’t!

My cat loves to eat any crickets I drop that escape me, I make sure the roaches don’t!

I have an English Pointer that can catch a fly in the air, but a roach just scurries away. I have never knowingly dropped one that I didn't locate and get up. That being said, who knows how many times I dropped one and had no clue. I can pick them up with my bare fingers, but let one crawl on me uninvited, and I fling my hand. That could have something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom