DIY feeder cup with screen bottom. No drowning bugs.

Seeco

Avid Member
Here are some step by step pics of me making a feeder cup. The cup in a cup design allows for quick changeouts and prevents the chams from injuring themselves trying to catch the insects through the screen bottom. The screen bottom is a must if you mist heavily. You will need 2 large yoghurt containers, a sharp knife, metal screen, hot glue gun, scissors or wire cutter and a bit of wire.

First cut the bottom out of a large yoghurt container, leave a small margin to glue on the screen:
juqa6amy.jpg

Pre cut a square of screen. Lay a ring of glue. It does not need to be perfect. It is more important that you work fast. Place the screen on and push it into the glue until it bubbles through the screen.
yra8ahyp.jpg

Let it cool for 1 minute and reinforcr or fill any gaps if necessary.
nepa9u5e.jpg

usury4ar.jpg

Clean out any strands of glue like this one:
eme7amyr.jpg

Trim the screen.
hudugyvy.jpg

Make the cup shallower. It should be just steep enough to prevent crix ftom jumping out. Unnecessary height makesit hard for your cham to see in.
ybegujam.jpg

Part 2 take a second cup and punch holes on the bottom.
y4udu5uj.jpg

Punch 2 holes on the side and insert wire.
u2ybyra2.jpg

ymusutun.jpg

Place cup one in cup 2 and attach anywhere!
sena4e7u.jpg

Thanks for reading and put some pics up if you make your own or have ideas to share.

I like it Louis! I'll be making some in a few months ;)

Curious, In your old threads i don't think you were using a cup in a cup. Howcome you've switched to this method instead of just the one with screen on the bottom and thats it?

Oh good observation Carson. At my new location i am using 4 ft vertical cages. The bottom is a no mans land as far as the chams are concerned. I needed to place the feeders a few feet up. That makes it possible for the chams to see the crickets from underneath and go crazy trying to get them. The old cages were horizontally aligned but placed 7 ft off the ground so the food cups were fine on the very bottom.

Oh good observation Carson. At my new location i am using 4 ft vertical cages. The bottom is a no mans land as far as the chams are concerned. I needed to place the feeders a few feet up. That makes it possible for the chams to see the crickets from underneath and go crazy trying to get them. The old cages were horizontally aligned but placed 7 ft off the ground so the food cups were fine on the very bottom.

ahhh i see. Perfect solution for a perfect set up for a perfect species!!

I like it Louis! I'll be making some in a few months ;)

Curious, In your old threads i don't think you were using a cup in a cup. Howcome you've switched to this method instead of just the one with screen on the bottom and thats it?

The other reason is that the single cup gets so dirty. These things need to be anchored solidly but who wants to detach and clean them every time. The inner cup just slides out and i tap the junk out over a trash can and put fresh bugs in.

Back
Top Bottom